SPF: Security Six .357 Stainless 6" Big Grip, Box/Papers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
This is the model GA36T where the "T" stands for Target grips, but Ruger just called it the "Big Grip" model. Super nice .357 Mag with 6" barrel in stainless. Has box and papers. The box has some fiber tape and residue as shown. Target grip, white outline rear sight, and orange insert front sight. These were made to compete directly with the S&W model 66. Has the older full-round recoil shield (later changed to the scalloped type). Serial number dates to 1981, which was the heyday of Security/Speed/Service Six production (the entire run of 100K revolvers with the 157 SN prefix were made in 1981, along with the tail end of the 156 prefix and start of the 158 prefix). Not a common configuration (6" stainless Big Grip) and hard to find with the box.

SPF (was $675) $650 shipped FFL to FFL

zpoxuoO.jpg

ZNJsWyT.jpg

MxxMFCW.jpg

vTm8W7f.jpg

PZlXiS8.jpg

C4l238f.jpg

43north

Bearcat
My original 6" Ruger Security Six developed a forcing cone issue, was sent to Ruger and it came back in this configuration, re-barreled with the "windowpane" Big Grip.
Once lapped and shot-in, my younger hands, and sharper eyes could shoot (S/A) 3-inch groups all day @ 70 yards - the maximum the handgun range had available.

A really nice example, and a great memory!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
My dad bought a blue 6" Security Six in about 1973 and that was the most accurate DA he owned. Of all his guns, my two favorites to shoot were that 6" Security Six and his 7.5" old model .45 Colt Blackhawk. Both were tack drivers. I've still got them both, with their boxes, but that Security Six shows a lot of finish wear after an estimated 40,000 rounds. The big factory grips were not available then (plus his was the early "lowback" frame) so he made a pair from scrap maple and hardware he had on hand, big brass hex nut inset in one side. Then he made his own holster for it, back when Tandy Leather was around. I remember him fitting the soaking wet holster to the gun wrapped in Saran Wrap, and I was worried about my favorite DA getting wet and rusting.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Well, I woke up this morning to an offer to buy this gun, so I accepted it, marked it SPF, deleted the pic from my summary post and marked it SPF there, flagged it as sold in my spreadsheet, and PM'ed the guy back with the payment info.

This afternoon, I got the, "well... on second thought..." message :roll:

So it is back up for sale.

smith1961

Blackhawk
weaselmeatgravy said:
Well, I woke up this morning to an offer to buy this gun, so I accepted it, marked it SPF, deleted the pic from my summary post and marked it SPF there, flagged it as sold in my spreadsheet, and PM'ed the guy back with the payment info.

This afternoon, I got the, "well... on second thought..." message :roll:

So it is back up for sale.

Some folks............... :roll: