Looking for XR3 Grip Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redfish

Bearcat
I am looking for an XR3 grip frame for a project that I am doing.
I would like it to be in good condition but don't want to spend a million$
If you have one let me know.
I do travel a lot and will answer all e-mails ASAP!
Thanks for looking!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Redfish said:
I am looking for an XR3 grip frame for a project that I am doing.
I would like it to be in good condition but don't want to spend a million$
If you have one let me know.
I do travel a lot and will answer all e-mails ASAP!
Thanks for looking!

The XR3 grip frame is an old model alum alloy grip frame. Is that what you're looking for?

Or do you want the new model grip frame in blue steel or stainless steel (the same size as the old XR3).

Redfish

Bearcat
I have an old model gun that has an XR3-Red frame.
I have a very nice set of ivory grips that are XR3 that I want to put on the gun.
So I would want to swap the grip frame out.
Will a new model XR3 frame fit on an old model gun?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
With regards to my 1st post above: I usually write out the 'dash' so people don't get confused. I did say above that they were the same size though.

Because the XR3 is the original grip frame while the XR-3 is not; the 'dash' makes the difference.

Here's the complete list from my book:

All GRIP FRAME MATERIAL & IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS (Founder's Marks) CAST ON GRIP FRAMES (N/A to Bearcat)
Notes: Most all grip frames are 1/2" thick unless otherwise noted below.
For convenience, NM frames in the two most common sizes are often referred to by their old model #s as XR3 'SIZE' or XR3-RED 'SIZE' but they have their own Casting numbers.

NM BLUE: STEEL and ALLOY GFs:
Small steel (OM #XR3 size) 1/8" closer to trigger guard than XR3-RED size, (cut for indexing pawl system, no extensions into main frame & only 7/16" thick) = A (in a square), no other marking observed; w & w/o lock. New Vaq w/o lock has a 512 prefix serial #, locks discontinued in 2012
Large steel (OM #XR3-RED size): Early = A (in a square) XR-3 (that's XR dash 3), Late = A in circle XR-3 1 in circle
Large alloy (OM #XR3-RED size) w/o lock: Early = NXR3-RED, Late = XRN-3RED. With lock = XR & L, locks discontinued in 2012
Short steel 'Vaquerito' .32s (3/16" shorter in length than the XR3 and XR3-RED sizes) = A (in a square) XR-3. If ordered as a separate part = 302 A (in a square)
SBH = No marking on Dragoon frames (1/4" longer than standard grip). Large round guard steel frames supplied on all barrel lengths less than 7 ½" (Old Model #XR3-RED size) = same as Large steel above marking
Birdshead** steel = # in circle, MR00307, A in circle
Bisley** steel grip frames come in only one size that fit all Ruger new models.

NM STAINLESS GFs:
Small, (XR3 size) 1/8" shorter horizontally behind the trigger guard (cut for indexing pawl system, no extensions into main frame & only 7/16" thick = K (in circle); w & w/o lock
Large (OM #XR3-RED size): Earliest = KXR-3*, Next = KXR-3 with a separate N, Late = K (in circle) XRN-3, most current = no markings
Short 'Vaquerito' .32s (3/16" shorter in length than the XR3 and XR3-RED sizes) = KXR-3* and K in circle 302 T in circle
SBH Hunter = KHRN 3 (Dragoon length but with a round trigger guard)
SBH = No marking on Dragoon frames (1/4" longer than standard grip). Large round guard steel frames supplied on all barrel lengths less than 7 ½" (Old Model #XR3-RED size) = same as Large above marking
Birdshead** = # K in circle, MR00307
Bisley** steel grip frames come in only one size that fit all Ruger new models.

OM BLUE STEEL and ALLOY:
Small alloy = XR3, original style to 1962, 1/8" closer to trigger guard than large size
Large alloy = XR3-RED, (part # SS3), new style in 1962 to 1972, also used on Pre 1985 Old Army - alloy w/narrow trig slot, and on Hawkeye - alloy w/wide trigger slot
SBH = steel dragoon, sq back trigger guard (1/4" longer than standard grip) no marking; Early 'long frame' 5/32" longer than later dragoon marked with C (only ~300 made)
Old Army steel (OM XR3-RED size) = XRN-3 beginning 1985 with wide trigger slot and is the only OM GF in carbon steel other than the SBH.

STAINLESS OM - Old Army only:
Large (OM XR3-RED size) = KXR-3*

SUPER BH MODEL S-47 GRIP FRAMES:
Standard Dragoon GF: overall height = 3 1/4" No casting mark.
Long Frame Dragoon GF (OM only) = overall height – 3 7/16" No casting mark but C stamped on back of grips.
Brass Frame "Dragoon" style with square back trigger guard (OM only) = Marked "MR-3DB." Same dimensions as 1959 Super Blackhawk. Initially for Super Blackhawks only, then shipped on various Blackhawks, the majority in 1972.
*Note: same # KXR-3 used on two different frames: earliest NM SS XR3-RED size and OM SS Old Army XR3-RED size, because based on how they are machined, they can be used for either application.
**Birdsheads and Bisleys supplied on New Vaqueros cut for free spin pawl system and have no extensions into main frame, but are interchangeable to all models.

But thx, it wouldn't be my first mistake especially when I try to type,

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Redfish said:
All PMs answered...
Still looking for the XR3 grip frame...

What model and year is your old model? The reason I ask is that there are some rare old models that should have XR3 grip frames but actually shipped from Ruger with XR3RED grip frames.

Unless you know someone switched yours, you might have a rare gun! And want to hang onto your original.

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
hey someone here had one of those aftermarket all steel xr3 grip frames for sale...not sure if they sold it...i know those early frames are hard to find...i will keep a eye out for one for u too...God Bless,John

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
Hey forgot to mention try all the big auction sites too...you never know what u will find there....i would trade one i have for a all steel one i have seen for sale

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Redfish said:
I have an old model gun that has an XR3-Red frame.
I have a very nice set of ivory grips that are XR3 that I want to put on the gun.
So I would want to swap the grip frame out.
Will a new model XR3 frame fit on an old model gun?

See below....I recently did this.
Cheers,
HD

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=268627