Summer reading (used books FS)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WTS: used books on various topics: American/Western History, adventures and explorations, outdoors/hunting and fishing. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. I take cash, personal checks made out to me and all money orders. I DON'T TAKE PayPal or credit cards or other forms of payment. I try to ship the books the next mail day after I get payment.

Please only use this thread for ordering with an "I'll take book(s) ____" as a reply. If you have a question or comment, please use a PM. I try to answer very quickly. After you order, I'll acknowledge your order with a reply here, mark the book sold on the ad, and PM you my "legal" (first) name and address for payment.

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOK OR BOOKS YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE.

1) SPF "Capt. Sam Grant: 1822-1861" by Lloyd Lewis.

2) "Fetishes and Carvings of the Southwest" by Oscar Branson. A big picture book of SW native carvings from prehistory to the present, all in full color. Carvings in turquoise, jet, coral, shell, and other native stones and materials. Most are totem ("fetish") animals; some purely decorative. With explanatory text. Softbound 64 pp 8 1/2x11" format exc. cond. ALL color illustrations! $7

3) "Guide to the Records in the National Archives of the US Relating to American Indians" compiled by Edward E. Hill. This is a key to what records relating to US Govt. relations with natives exist and how to find them. Arranged by federal agencies that have had or have responsibility for "Indian Affairs", including the US military, plus some non-federal records in federal hands, including former Russian (Alaskan) records and personal papers donated to the Archives. HB 480 pp exc. cond with a very few highlight marks; illus w/tables and charts and many historic b/w photos. $6

4) "The Shipwreck of Their Hopes: The Battles for Chattanooga" by Peter Cozzens. Chattanooga TN was one of the gateways to the Deep South and of great strategic importance to the Confederacy. The battles of Brown's Ferry, Lookout Mtn., Tunnel Hill, and Missionary Ridge began the defeat of the South. HB 527 pp. exc. cond w/a few coffee stains, illus w/13 battle maps and original b/w reproductions of contemporary illustrations. $7

5) SPF "The Fleet the Gods Forgot" by Capt. W.G. Winslow, USN Ret.

6) "With the Old Breed on Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B Sledge. A Marine's journal secretly kept in an Old Testament. Classic narrative used in Ken Burns' "The Pacific." Quality paperback (Presidio Press) 350 pp in exc. cond. illus w/b/w pics, maps, diagrams of Japanese fortifications. $5

7) SPF "The Last Victory: The Life and Times of a United States 'Victory Ship'" by Walter Jaffee.

8) "The Films of John Wayne" by Mark Ricci and Boris and Steve Zmifiewsky. 1970 book that gives a bio of The Duke up to that date, and titles, producing studios, cast, credits, synopsis of plot, run time, and release dates of his first 144 films from "Mother Machree" (1928) to "Rio Lobo" (1970). A full set of The Duke's Hollywood "head shots; full of stills from the films. Softbound 167 pp. 8 1/2x11" format exc. cond. illus w/b/w photos $6

9) "Rivers of America: The Everglades" by Marjory Stoneman Douglas. Volume of the classic "Rivers of America" series that covers the nature, history and prehistory, and legends of the "River of Grass." The endless (literally) "Seminole War," and the peace that the Civil War unexpectedly brought to the 'Glades, then modern developments. HB 407 pp. exc. reading cond. but no dust jacket. Illus w/many line drawings, maps. $5

Adventures and Explorations

10) SPF "The Brendan Voyage: A Leather Boat Tracks the Discovery of America by Irish Sailor-Saints" by Tim Severin.

11) SPF "The Vikings: A History" by Robert Ferguson.

12) SPF " On the Edge of Nowhere" by James Huntington.

13) SPF "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage" by Alfred Lansing.

14) SPF "Ordeal by Exocet: HMS 'Glamorgan' and the Falklands War" by Ian Inskip.

15) SPF "The Lost City of 'Z': A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon" by David Gramm.

16) SPF "In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whaleship 'Essex'" by Nathaniel Philbrick.

17) "The Last Run: A True Story of Rescue and Redemtion on the Arctic Seas" by Todd Lewan. The drama and tragedy of commercial deap sea fishing on Alaska's "Fairweather Grounds. 1998 loss and rescue of the fishing boat "Le Conte": how it all works--fishing crew shore life, USCG and civilian rescue operations, and a "CSI" solves a lost fisherman mystery. HB 378 pp. new cond. illus w/b/w photos and maps. $6

Outdoors: fishing, hunting, eating

18) SPF "Cooking Alaskan" by "Alaskan Magazine" contributors.

19) "Incredible Fishing Stories: by Shaun Morey 80 short, true (yeah right!) stories of all kinds of incredible catches from all over the planet: marlin, makos, crappies and carp and everything in between. Softbound 154 pp. 8x8" format new cond. illus w/cartoons, drawings, b/w photos $5

20) "Fishing by Mail: The Outdoor Life of a Father and Son" by Vance and Phillip Bourgailly. Artices by well-known outdoor writers, father and son. 5 on fishing worldwide, 6 on hunting, plus one each on mushrooms, alligators, and....books. Excellent writing about both specific sporting experiences and about the outdoor experience itself. HB 211 pp. new cond. $6

21) "Fishing's Best Short Stories" ed. by Paul D. Staudohar. WARNING: this is fiction (but what fishing story isn't???). 25 short stories about fishing from Stephen King to Stephen Vincent Benet, including stories by P.J. O'Rourke, The Brothers Grimm, Phillip Wylie, and Annie Proulx. Great summer cabin or cabin cruiser reads! HB 372 pp. new cond. illus w/small original header drawings. $7

22) "Glory Days of Baja: Mosquitos, Coyotes, Cactus, Mud...And Great Bird Shooting" by Larry Stanton. Memoir of an MD's over 300 trips to Baja California starting in 1969, mainly for waterfowl and upland bird hunting. Gritty DIY hunting and a real look at Mexico as it is. Fun stuff; we've all "been there" just not THERE! HB 182 pp. exc/new cond illus w/b/w photos, Spanish glossary. Inscribed to a friend and patient of Dr. Stanton's. $6

23) "Deerhunting with Dalrymple: A Lifetime of Lore on the Whitetail and Mule Deer" by Byron W. Dalrymple. Classic deer hunter's book by the author of many articles in '60s and '70s "Sports Afield," "Outdoor Life," "Field and Stream" and "American Hunter." Classic tactics, calls and scents, rattlin' Mulie and white tail specifics, tailoring hunts weaher, and more, including venison recipes. HB 250 pp. exc. cond. illus w/b/w photos, tables and lists. $6

24) 4 new Wolfe Publications gun magazines: "Rifles Nos. 291, 292, and 293 (March, May, July 2017) and "Handloader" No.307 (April 2017). Full of great articles on current production, custom, and historic guns and how to repair, handload for, and shoot and hunt with them. New cond, $12 shipped for all four.

25) Four great new sporting magazines: Gray's "Sporting Journal" May-June 2017 Issue, "Sports Afield" v. 20 March/April 2017 issue, Wolfe Publications' "Successful Hunter" Nos. 86 March/April 2017 and No 87 May/June 2017 issue. Mainly hunting and custom guns but some fishing articles as well. new cond. $12 shipped for all four.

Thanks for reading my long post! Don't forget to take $1 off the price of any book or books you order after the first one you order!

Mike Armstrong