SPF: NR4F 1st Issue FIXED SIGHT 4-5/8" Single Six RARE!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
These don't come around too often. This is one of the first issue NM Single Sixes with fixed sights. Rare model with the short barrel. The later fixed sight NRxF and NRxFL guns had Vaquero-style "pinched frame" rear sights. Only this first batch made in the late 1980's had the dovetailed, drift-adjustable rear sight like the old models. Convertible model with second cylinder in .22 WMR. Curious thing about these revolvers is that the shippers were marked 4-1/2" rather than 4-5/8", but they are commonly known as having a the 4-5/8" barrel. This one measures just shy of 4-9/16". Also, Ruger did not print end labels for the inner yellow boxes (I have a complete set in my collection that came direct from a Ruger employee collection and I verified that none of them have labels on the yellow box either). Another interesting thing about this particular gun is that it expands the known range of the NR4F according to RENE which has the high number at 262-29919. So who knows - this could be the last one made. It was previously in a collection that was displayed and has some highlighting material in the serial number as seen (this can be scrubbed out with Hoppe's if desired). Condition is as-new, in the box, with papers and some light handling marks. The most noticeable scuffs are on the backstrap of the grip frame but I did not get a good picture of those (pics were taken outside, racing against sunset on the first day of standard time, and the grip frame pics came out blurred - but I can take an indoor pic later and update the post).

SPF $595 shipped FFL to FFL

bna2aUd.jpg

YuDkQjo.jpg

SqKkZNc.jpg

iMzgfMp.jpg

3KOzWNt.jpg

gefk49B.jpg

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
gunman42782 said:
I hate to admit it, but I never even knew they made this variation!

You don't see them often because less than 500 of each barrel length were made 27 years ago.

I agree with Dan that this model, but with the 5.5" barrel, would have made the ideal 50th anniversary Single Six when outfitted with the NM XR3 style grip frame and plastic checkered black eagle grips from the 50th flattops. A flat loading gate would have made it look even better, but I can't imagine operating New Model lockwork with just a thumbnail. This short 4-5/8" gun, but with an aluminum cylinder frame, would have made a nice 50th anniversary Lightweight!

CraigC

Hawkeye
weaselmeatgravy said:
I agree with Dan that this model, but with the 5.5" barrel, would have made the ideal 50th anniversary Single Six when outfitted with the NM XR3 style grip frame and plastic checkered black eagle grips from the 50th flattops.
I have a 4 5/8" and a take-off NM XR3 and that is exactly what I'll probably end up doing with it.

Guys, I quote from above . . .

"You don't see them often because less than 500 of each barrel length were made 27 years ago."

This is a freakin' scarce/rare gun!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: