SPF - Horvath custom flat top - .38-40/.40 S&W LOWER $$

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cubrock

Blackhawk
SPF - REDUCED TO $1050 SHIPPED.....Horvath custom ,357-framed Flat Top (SN 8131) in .38-40 with an auxiliary .40 S&W cylinder. Has a rebored .30 Carbine barrel on it, so it is nicely tapered and 7.5" long. Recessed crown. Steel ERH. Belt Mtn. #5 locking base pin. Has a wide trigger that I believe came from an Old Army, which adds a nice feel. I bought it used, so I don't have any kind of build sheet for it. It has been shot and carried, but is still a very nice gun.

Nice gun with some minor marks, scratches, and wear scattered here and there. The grip frame has some minor dings in the finish scattered on it. The worst wear on the gun itself is some scratching on the ERH (see pic). The frame had to have been reblued due to the caliber remark, but it still has some remnant plum lightning strikes on it (see pics). The loading gate is original finish and has some lightning strikes on it that are pretty neat.

Lock-up and endshake are excellent for a Ruger, but not Freedom Arms bank-vault tight. There is a little bit of both. The gun is time such that the bolt drops ahead of the leades, so there is a bit of a turn line ahead of the leades (and a much lighter turn line from handling). Makes it lock up super-reliably, kind of like a S&W or a New Model Ruger. The trigger pull is a just a touch creepy and feels like it is about 4 to 4.5 pounds to me.

$1200 shipped from my FFL to yours, fully insured, via USPS Priority Mail. Not really looking for trades unless I feel they are somehow advantageous to me. I'm selling this to raise money for a family need, so any trade will likely just be sold. Please PM me with any questions. Thanks for looking!

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
Pretty cool piece you got there. Sadly we do not see Horvath's customs come available more often. If I were a 38-40 man, I'd be jumping all over this one.

Will

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
I wonder how easy it is or if it's worth it to ream that 40 cylinder to 10mm.
Nice gun with more work done than meets the eye!

cubrock

Blackhawk
Reaming .40 S&W to 10mm should just be a lengthening of the chamber.

gunsbam69

Hunter
I don't even really need a 38-40 but the price is making me think I do. This is super nice, especially for the money. Look at the clean emblems in the grips and 2 custom cylinders.......Somebody hurry up here before I forget I'm a 45 Colt man :roll:

cubrock

Blackhawk
I've owned a number of Horvath's guns and have not seen any of them marked. That doesn't mean he hasn't marked any, but none of mine have been.

The front sight is sweated on.

The remarking is a give way that Andy did the work. My 41 Special is done the same way. He recently switched his remark method but it is definitely a Horvath gun. Steve, I will take this one. I will send out payment on Monday and it can be shipped to Wally on the FFL you have on file.

Robb

The last Horvath gun I saw had remarking like most of the other guys and the owner commented on how he was glad Andy had switched. No milling out the oval then restamping caliber but either welding the old lettering up and re lettering or if not too deep, taking it down to smooth then remarking. Who knows, maybe Andy still does the oval milling as well but I do not think so.

MHBLAW, if you want it you can send Steve the money and FFL an have it if you want. I don't reload for 38 WCF nor 40 S&W so it will just set in the safe but I knew it was too good a deal to just let sit here on the forum. Even though Andy often has one of the shortest turn around times of the top 'smiths he still normally has a months long wait time so being able to snag one of his custom conversions at a price like this was a no brainer in my mind. PM me if you want it to head to ND, since you shoot this caliber I would be tickled to see it head your direction.

Robb