Brass Deflector for a Mini-14?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

clogan0304

Bearcat
My buddy - who is a LEFTY - is looking to get a Mini-14 and is concerned about the brass ejecting in his face. Anyone know if someone makes a Brass Deflector that can help him out, either Ruger brand or aftermarket?

mattsbox99

Hunter
Check out Accuracy Systems, they make adjustable gas ports to lower the bolt velocity and drop cases at your feet.

My .223 Mini mostly lauches them forward, I haven't shot the 6.8 one yet.

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

if he's looking at a new one (they are all ranch rifles now) he needs to worry more about the cases hitting him on top of the head when they come down... I really don't think he needs to worry.... those critters get slung high and wide.

RCT(V)

Bearcat
clogan0304 said:
My buddy - who is a LEFTY - is looking to get a Mini-14 and is concerned about the brass ejecting in his face. Anyone know if someone makes a Brass Deflector that can help him out, either Ruger brand or aftermarket?

Thank you for the informative replies.

I joined the forum yesterday - just so I could ask the same question myself :D

clogan0304

Bearcat
blume357 said:
if he's looking at a new one (they are all ranch rifles now) he needs to worry more about the cases hitting him on top of the head when they come down... I really don't think he needs to worry.... those critters get slung high and wide.

It is a used one - about 9yrs old - but hasn't seen much but the inside of a gun safe all those years. How will I know if this one is a "Ranch Rifle"? And, I thought all Mini-14s were called "Ranch Rifles". Apparently I have much to learn.

George S

Bearcat
I'm a leftie and after I added a smaller gas port bushing to my Mini-14, I don't have any issue with empty cases flying back at me. With the stock setup, the cases used to fly about 25-30 feet away. It got to where I waited to take the right-most lane at my club so I wouldn't be lobbing cases at 5 or 6 other shooters.

Now with the smaller bushing, the case only travel about 4-5 feet and slightly forward. :) Miss the long walks to pick up cases.....

mattsbox99

Hunter
Ranch Rifles have integral scope bases (and were sold with Ruger scope rings). They also say "Ranch Rifle" on the back of the receiver.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I use the Mini and am left handed. Empty brass doesn't come near my face at all. The only poblem I have at the range, being lefty means I can't set up a cardboard stop to keep the brass from shooting down about 4 benches. I have no sympathy for anyone who sets up (after) next to me but I do feel a bit bad about it when they're about 20 yards away.