SR-556 Trigger Replacement.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

r4990

Bearcat
I just got a Ruger SR-556 and I really like it. But it does have one problem, the trigger. It was heavy and had a lot of creep. I did some research on AR trigger options. Of course no one listed a trigger specifically for the Ruger, only for "small pin" generic and "large pin" Colt receivers. I called a couple of places and nobody was sure whether or not their trigger would work in the Ruger. From what I did find it seemed likely that it would work though. I decided that I liked the Giessele SSA non-adjustable two stage trigger as the best combination of quality and cost. So I took a chance and bought one.

I got it today. It realy was easy to install and it fit perfectly. Seems the Ruger trigger is a generic "small pin" unit. Boy what an improvement. It's not meant to be a "glass rod" match trigger but a general purpose "combat" trigger. It is supposed to break at about 2 1/2 lbs and it feels so much better than the stocker.

You gotta get you one of these.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
The SR-556 is a very standard AR-15 except for the piston. You made an excellent choice is selecting the Geissele trigger; it is the best trigger for the AR-15, bar none.

I have the original high-speed adjustable trigger in my match rifle, it's been there for a few years now. I have several thousands rounds out of it, (already on the second barrel,) and untold dry-fire cycles. The trigger is still as good as it was when I installed it.

Just so you know, I understand the Geissele is the only aftermarket trigger that .mil uses. This is why they are so hard to get these days.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Good to hear. My trigger is very good, best non-comp trigger i have ever had in an AR.

r4990

Bearcat
Sig685":1gq7m4e7 said:
The SR-556 is a very standard AR-15 except for the piston. You made an excellent choice is selecting the Geissele trigger; it is the best trigger for the AR-15, bar none.

I have the original high-speed adjustable trigger in my match rifle, it's been there for a few years now. I have several thousands rounds out of it, (already on the second barrel,) and untold dry-fire cycles. The trigger is still as good as it was when I installed it.

Just so you know, I understand the Geissele is the only aftermarket trigger that .mil uses. This is why they are so hard to get these days.

Thanks. I was impressed when I found out that Bill Giessele has tested the trigger to over 100,000 cycles with no change in the action of the trigger. I read some complaints about some of the other triggers saying that they would wear out at less than 10,000 rounds (not that I will ever put that much on this rifle).

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Everyone can make claims about anything, but at some point in time, the product has to prove itself. So to me, when the person selling the product makes claims, I discount and ignore them. Sorry, that's just me; I've been around the block a few times.

However, when users of the product extoll its virtues, I take notice. I also take notice of people who dump on the product, realizing there is always the seemingly inevitable defective example that gets out. If I hear several similar complaints about a product from different people, that starts to have an impact.

In the case of the Geissele trigger, I bought mine several years ago, its serial number is 3 digits and is hand-engraved. I have never had a problem with it and as I said earlier, it has ignited several thousand primers, never failed once.

I roam gun boards and while I only participate in a very few, I do read many. I have never encountered a negative comment about Geissele triggers, only positive ones, usually with the words "best" and "trigger" in the same sentence describing the trigger.

If there is a negative aspect to the trigger, it's the cost. At $279 it is very pricey. But in this case, you get what you pay for. I meticulously adjusted the trigger to have just 2 pounds on the first stage and just a few ounces on the second stage. For match shooting, this is perfect for me and the scores have shown it.

I have never tried, or even seen the SSA model, I am confident it is a fine trigger, every bit as good and dependable as the match trigger.

Perhaps you may not be aware of one of its benefits and that is the concept of "high-speed". In case you were wondering what that was about, permit me to explain.

The AR-15 is actually a marvel of engineering and ingenuity and many aspects of it are just the end result of "thinking outside the box." One must remember that the AR-15 is a martial weapon, it is a combat weapon and was developed as such. Everything about it is quite simple and easy to maintain. The trigger group is an example of this. The Mil-spec trigger group allows for full-automatic function but the trigger group was easily adaptable to semi-auto fire.

As you know, the elapsed time between pulling the trigger and firing the cartridge is not zero. It is small but it is not zero. In the AR-15, the lock time (the time between pulling the trigger and the firing pin impacting the primer) is about 12 to 15 milliseconds. By comparison, a bolt action rifle will have a lock time of about 4-6 milliseconds or about 1/3 to 1/4 the lock time of the AR-15.

In a martial weapon, designed for full-auto or select fire, this is irrelevant. In a hunting rifle, this is also irrelevant. But in a match rifle, it may become relevant. The main aspect of shooting accurately is simply this: align the sights on the target and pull the trigger without disturbing the sights. When the AR-15 started winning and winning big at Camp Perry and Service Rifle competitions around the country, people had no choice but to face the fact the AR-15 was one heck of an accurate weapon and they rushed to it, big time. It was not long before shooters ran into the issue of long lock time. One might think that 12 or 14 millisecond is not a long time, but when your sight picture is moving, as it will in Service Rifle competition or extreme long range shooting, lock time has an effect. And the longer the range, the more pronounced the effect.

So Mr. Geissele designed his trigger in a way that the lock time would be cut down and his trigger has a lock time of about 8 millisecond. Still longer than a good bolt action, but a definite improvement over the stock AR trigger or any of its replacement. What this means to me is that in a match, when I place the crosshairs and target dot of my scope exactly where I want them to be on the target, I then pull through the first stage and when I want to shoot, I only have to think about it, and the few ounces of the second stage are overcome and the rifle fires, on my command, before the sights have a chance to move much at all. Doing my follow through helps further mitigate unwanted movement. When you pull the trigger, the rifle is going to move, you just don't want to give it too much time to move off the target.

This high-speed concept is only useful for precision shooters, especially those of us who do not subscribe to the fallacy that tripping the trigger should come as a surprise. I KNOW when I want my rifle to fire and I KNOW when it's going to fire, there is no surprise here.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Enjoy your trigger, it's a great one.

r4990

Bearcat
I appreciate your comments and I agree with yoou. I found much of that information when I was researching AR triggers (this being my first AR, and at my age!).

The SSA has all the great Geissele technology but in a non-adjustable form. as such it was only about $170 rather than the $279 of the fully adjustable versions. I didn't want to deal with adjustments as I don't do Match shooting so the SSA was a good fit. It has a 2 lb first stage and a 2 1/2 lb second stage which works well for me.

Thanks again.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
r4990":2ur14ah2 said:
I appreciate your comments and I agree with yoou. I found much of that information when I was researching AR triggers (this being my first AR, and at my age!).

What are you saying? Are you an old(ish) geezer like me? If so, you will truly enjoy the AR, you can tinker with it to your heart's content, make it your own. And it does not kick at all.

The good thing about the SR556 is that Ruger uses a standard lower, so when you finally decide that the piston thing is all very nice, but you would rather go for superb accuracy, you can swap the piston upper for a jet-powered upper with a great barrel and have it shipped to your door. Push two pins and voila, new rifle.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
how hard was the Gisselle SSA to install? how much time? any tools needed? thanks .... hmm thinking about it maybe after the xmas holidays are over...

either that trigger or the Timney http://timneytriggers.com/ single stage at 3#.

not a match shooter 50% home defense and 50% weekend target shooting

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Installing a Geissele trigger is the same as installing a regular AR-15 trigger. If you've ever done one, you can do this easily. If' you've never done it, check out the Brownells video here:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11634/learn/

Read the instructions from Geissele and watch the video above. Since you are looking at an SSA, you won't have to deal with the adjustments so it should be quite simple.

Where the heck do you live that you are employing your rifle 50% of the time for home defense? It sounds like you are overun by zombies.

The Timney will be easier still to install because it's a one-piece self contained unit, but it's not a Geissele.

mc73

Bearcat
:) Installed two stage adj. Easy install great fit. First 50 rounds flawless performance. Forum was best research tool . Thanks .

schultzamatic

Bearcat
Gentlemen,
Due to your high quality discussion about the Giesselle trigger, I am convinced more than ever to purchase my first AR and it will be the Ruger 556. A few questions...
1) what factory ammo give the best accuracy? I am thinking Black Hills.
2) how did you break in your rifles
3) what scopes are good value less than $300 ( I am thinking NC Star )

I reload for Weatherby and Kimber rifles but do not wish to relaod for the .223. I want it to be my fun gun and accurate out to 300 yards or so.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
With the caveat that I am an AR shooter for fun and casual target shooting only and not terribly serious about it, I tend to use the Rock River Arms ($94.00 including shipping) or the CMMG for a touch more, maybe $100.00 or so total.

I don't reload for my semi auto 223 or 308 rifles - I hate chasing down or loosing brass and if you don't do one you're stuck with the other. Black Hills ammo always works very well, but HSM and Fiocchi when they use a Nosler or Hornady bullet does very well too and is less expensive. I use it in my Volquartsen Evolution and a Benelli MR1 and get great results.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
schultzamatic said:
Gentlemen,
Due to your high quality discussion about the Giesselle trigger, I am convinced more than ever to purchase my first AR and it will be the Ruger 556. A few questions...
1) what factory ammo give the best accuracy? I am thinking Black Hills.
2) how did you break in your rifles
3) what scopes are good value less than $300 ( I am thinking NC Star )

I reload for Weatherby and Kimber rifles but do not wish to relaod for the .223. I want it to be my fun gun and accurate out to 300 yards or so.

NcSTAR scopes are JUNK. ALL NcSTAR scopes are JUNK!
Look at some of the Burris, Bushnell, Redfield or Nikon scopes.

Latest posts