Ruger 44 mag carbine older vs deerfield?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scuffler

Bearcat
Hi guys, Can someone please explain the mechanical difference between the older tube fed 44 carbine and the newer deer fields.
I heard that the newer ones use rotating bolts, and I know thats true, so what type of action is the older ones?

pete44ru

Hunter
The original .44 Carbines used a gas piston to actuate a hidden, long, operating rod that has cams/slots in the rear end of it's config that turns the bolt in/out of battery.

The 99/44 Deerfield is basically a Mini-14 on steriods, with it's operating rod atop the barrel side - and would be exposed, possibly catching the user's fingers, if not for the handguard.

wwb

Hunter
Functionally, it's pretty much a wash..... but the original .44 Carbine wins the "Neat" contest with a landslide.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I have a 1965 deerstalker carbine and it's my favorite deer gun .Out to 150 yards it's deadly on deer .The newer carbine like pete said was a mini 14 on steroids and had in issue with ejected brass hitting the bottom of the scope if you had one on it ,they even came with a padded leather scope protector and I'm in complete agreement with Pete on the neat factor of the original deerstalker mine is in 98% condition and it's one of my most treasured guns and I wouldn't think twice about going after a black bear with it .The only thing is parts are just about non existent for them so I'm very careful about the ammo I use in it . I buy stuff that is close in chamber pressure to what what available in 1965 and stay away from "hot' loads .Here's a pic of my baby,shes wearing a Weaver Classic K-4 4x38MM scope and the optics on this scope are great very clear and bright
LousPics182.jpg

mike7mm08

Buckeye
But the deerfield has the nice feature of a detachable magazine. But I will take an original carbine over the deerfield. However it would have to be either a sporter or a international. I cannot stand that damned curved butt of the original or deerfield. If they would of offered the deerfield with a sporter style stock I would take that over the original.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
the but plate on mine is scratched where the gun was leaned against the wall or something but Brownells sells new metal but plates for it and when I get one my gun will be 99% there's one very small ding in the stock other than that it's like brand new

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Here are two of mine. The international is perfect and unfired. The other is a custom stocked 96/44. Almost too pretty to take hunting. But it ain't original so I can enjoy it and refinish it later if need be.

P1000534.jpg

pete44ru

Hunter
I've owned/shot/hunted with both models - multiple examples of the original, and I have to say that (although I REALLY liked the 99/44's detachable mag and issue peep sight) I sold the 99/44 Deerfield for two reasons:

1) A non-walnut wood stock :(

2) An upper handguard, and plastic to boot. :evil: I even tried painting it to match the stock, thereby changing it's appearance to resemble a Marlin 99M1 Carbine (.22). :roll:

I went back to a gennie - but a later/latest version, with the cartridge release button in the bottom so the rifle doesn't have to be unloaded via firing it dry or trying to fumble the loaded rounds from the mag with cold/wet fingers (as most hunting is done with them in my areas).

YMMV - of course.

Retsoff

Bearcat
I agree with cruzerlou & pete44ru on virtually everything they said. At one time I had both models but I ended up selling the newer "Deerfield" model. Having said this, I'll admit that the older version does not get used much. I've never used it yet for deer hunting but I do occasionally shoot it at the range.

scuffler

Bearcat
I heard that there was a tab on the trigger guard or somewhere that broke often on the olders ones and that was the only weakness of the older style.

pete44ru

Hunter
Yup - the lip thhat attaches the TG housing to the receiver underside can occasionally crack or break off, allowing the front end of the feed mechanism to "float" during cycling, jamming the rifle.

The only fix is to replace the TG housing, as it is non-repairable - and unobtainium.

The only thing I check for, when surveying an older .44 Carbine that's F/S, is to hold the receiver/stock very firmly while I insert a finger inside the mag throat (in the TG housing's front end) and put a strain on it.
Any play = no sale (to me).
No play = good to go.