Ruger 77 at auction

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/899822312

Anyone believe this story? I don't. Good for him getting premium dollar but it gets old seeing bs claims about a guns pedigree all the time. This seller in particular has a habit of over embellished descriptions…or plain old horse crap if you'd rather say it that way.

Btw…According to Ruger the rifle was shipped in 1998.

hittman

Staff member
I didn't know the Ruger Custom Shop was putting out that quality guns in 1998!

Not to mention using the ultra rare "almost 24" barrel" as stated in the description. :lol:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Didn't you guys know that nearly every gun on GB is "ultra rare". Ultra rare is common. Plain Rare are few and far between, though.

Rob

The Norseman

Blackhawk
The above is why......

My number one Gun Buying Rule - #1: If I can not handle and thoroughly inspect a Firearm,
I won't even consider buying it, for this reason alone I will not buy from a Web Site.
I have to be able to look the Owner in the eyes, and shake hands if it's a purchase.

There is no reason that I need a Firearm that bad, that I have to Buy off the Internet!

JFB

Hunter
I think MY 1991 shipped looks better!

The current bid of $2,500 actually seems "fair" to me as it cost me $1,500 back then.

For my current "pre-estate" sale I'll use this to justify my asking

chet15

Hawkeye
The gun is an M77 Magnum rifle... they weren't built in the custom shop, but they did have some extra attention paid to them, like the quarter rib that was integrally hammer forged with the barrel. Expensive model series, is why they didn't sell. But you also got the circassian walnut stock with it.
As far as .416 Rigby being rare in that one... it isn't. That caliber is at least the 2nd most common in the model.
Chet15

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I figured that was the case Chad. Nobody here is arguing that it isnt a nice rifle. Its the load of crap that seller tries to spoon feed you that irritates the **** out of me. Ive got some pretty colorful emails from the place and all I can say is they are top notch A wholes and idiots. Not a flattering combination of personality traits!

gunzo

Buckeye
Well, the BS handed out by the seller that's similar to so many other sellers BS does get old, but the bidders are speaking in loud numbers. There's at least 4 of them that seem serious. The players are likely immune to some of the sellers false statements & probably know what they are after.

At nearly 3 grand with 3 days left on the clock, what do we expect this one to go for?
I'll guess 4+.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
It's called Shill Bidding. Seller has another account or friends bidding
to artificially inflate the price. Price will keep going up.

Another reason why I won't use a Website to buy Firearms.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
The Norseman said:
It's called Shill Bidding. Seller has another account or friends bidding
to artificially inflate the price. Price will keep going up.

Another reason why I won't use a Website to buy Firearms.

I believe I've encountered this on a number of occasions on Gunbroker. I've sent emails to gunbroker about it, but they come back saying they can find no evidence. Of course can't find "direct" evidence, but if they would examine multiple auctions, I suspect they could pick up trends. New accounts with previous buying history is a big tip-off.!