Model 44 Optic Compatability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Heisenberg

Bearcat
I just acquired a relatives Model 44 Carbine and noticed the 4 receiver screws look awful close to that of the 10/22
Does anyone happen to know if it is the same?
:?:
I was thinking an MRDS like a DeltaPoint or RMR would make this a lightening fast carbine

wwb

Hunter
DO NOT remove the front 2 screws on the receiver !! The .44 Carbine uses the 2 rear screws on the receiver and the 2 screws on the barrel to install the bases. Given the spacing, it's really intended for scope mounting rather than a red dot or reflex sight. A Leupold 1-4X works very well on the carbine.

A dot optic would be an option for a 44 carbine depending on what you expect to use the gun for. We use dot optics on the AR pistol platforms we use for deer hunting which works fine considering the limited ranges encountered. Longer ranges may also be at least as good as one would manage using open sights depending on individual eyesight.
As for the screw use and spacing, I defer to "wwb".

Chief 101

Hunter
QQVY65Q.jpg

This is the way I mounted a scope on a 44 Carbine with Weaver mounts..I think it uses 10-22 Weaver mounts

wwb

Hunter
Chief 101 said:
This is the way I mounted a scope on a 44 Carbine with Weaver mounts..I think it uses 10-22 Weaver mounts

Nope... it's a special pair of Weaver bases for the .44 Carbine.

An on-line search would give you the numbers (too lazy to look it up right now). They may be hard to find, as the Carbine has been out of production for so long, and never was a big seller.

Side note - the scope in the picture is mounted awfully high.... does it have a large objective bell? If not, you ought to try a lower set of rings and see if it doesn't fit you better.

Heisenberg

Bearcat
Looks like ill have to machine a mount then
Found a few "rails" but they would place the MRDS needlessly high
The two rear holes would be just the right place for a low mounted red dot

Heisenberg

Bearcat
wwb said:
Chief 101 said:
They may be hard to find, as the Carbine has been out of production for so long, and never was a big seller.
I believe this little carbine in 357 Magnum would be a huge seller
Much of it could be off the shelf via the 77/357
A modern lightweight 16" stainless one pre milled for MRDS would make an excellent "do it all"

Heisenberg

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
depending on what you expect to use the gun for
Ive been digging around looking at "under the radar" weapons for the coming wave of bans
"Do it all" sort of weapons that can be effectively pressed into various areas from range fun to hunting to self defense

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Heisenberg said:
wwb said:
Chief 101 said:
They may be hard to find, as the Carbine has been out of production for so long, and never was a big seller.
I believe this little carbine in 357 Magnum would be a huge seller

It would be an even bigger seller in the original .44 Magnum. I love these carbines, as well as the Deerfield that followed. Why on earth can it not be continued? Yeah, I know: cost vs. sales price. Still, it would sell like crazy in .44 Mag.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Heisenberg said:
Looks like ill have to machine a mount then
Found a few "rails" but they would place the MRDS needlessly high
The two rear holes would be just the right place for a low mounted red dot

I recently mounted a vortex venom on an AR 15. Really like it. I had the ability to place it darn near anywhere on the receiver. I got a faster sight picture and better fov with the sight mounted as far forward as I could. I got it mounted that the thumb of my hand on the foreend can easily work the controls of the sight.

In your case you might want to consider a similar and mount the sight on the barrel.