Ruger 44 Carbine Help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rds95991

Bearcat
I have a Ruger 44 carbine I purchased new sometime in the 80's. It's been a safe queen and I've never fired it. Now I find the bolt is stuck. Pulling back on the handle without using excessive force won't budge the bolt. I don't know if I should disassemble the gun or maybe smack it with a rubber mallet.

Any suggestions, similar experiences, ?????

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I guess I would ask if you had ever cycled the bolt since you purchased it. I cannot think of any mechanical malfunction which would cause that. If it was soaked with oil years ago and not cycled it may just be glued shut and a tap with a rubber mallet could free it. In order to disassemble the bolt must be free first. Good luck.

rds95991

Bearcat
I go through all my guns and regularly check them and cycle them. I while try a little coaxing and run some penetrating oil around the bolt. I'm hoping that perhaps some old oil may have gummed it up.

rds95991

Bearcat
A couple of taps with a rubber mallet loosened the bolt. Then a good cleaning and a liberal coating of CLP and everything is good. Looks like old oil gummed the action up but everything is good. Now that it is out and clean I think I will shoot it this weekend. After over 30 years I guess it's time.

The next question is how the bolt on a 44 semiauto carbine seems so much smaller and lighter than the bolt on the 9mm PCC.

wwb

Hunter
rds95991 said:

The next question is how the bolt on a 44 semiauto carbine seems so much smaller and lighter than the bolt on the 9mm PCC.

I'm gonna take a guess that the PCC is blowback operated, while I know for a fact that the 44 carbine is gas operated. That would account for the difference.

rds95991

Bearcat
wwb said:
rds95991 said:

I'm gonna take a guess that the PCC is blowback operated, while I know for a fact that the 44 carbine is gas operated. That would account for the difference.

You're right. I forgot about that. Senior moment.

loaded round

Hunter
Remember to use only jacketed 44 Mag ammo. Your carbine will work fine with lead bullets, but you risk the chance on fouling up your gas system and ending up with a bolt action rifle. I t will necessitate a trip to your local gunsmith unless you're handy enough to disassemble your carbine for a thorough cleaning. Believe me, that's a royal PIA! Stick to jacketed bullets.