Ruger ranch rifle magazine problems .

Help Support Ruger Forum:

57springer

Buckeye
I bought a American ranch in .556 last April . It has the flush mag. as opposed to the ar 15 style . On more than one occasion the mag. just falls out on the firing of the rifle . I called ruger this morning and they are sending me a replacement mag . :) The cust. service gal said the will sell me a conversion kit to change my rifle to the ar style mags. for 19 dollars plus 6 dollars shipping .. I am going to give a new mag a chance to resolve the issue before I spring for the conversion . Has anyone else run into this , after looking at rugers website I see that the flush mounted mag ranch is no longer listed :!:

Not much help but I looked at both versions at a LGS last winter. The proprietary magazine did not impress me with either it's function or features. Probably why LGS was selling them $50 under the AR mag version.
I hope you find a workable solution.

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I bought the 7.62X39 and I didn't have any mag problems but I did have problems with the bolt. The bolt would rotate to far and I couldn't get it back into the chamber.

57springer

Buckeye
Busterswoodshop said:
For $25 I would just get the conversion to AR magazines.
Buy a couple AR magazines as opposed to Ruger magazines and you will get your $25 back in no time.
I choose the flush mount version for the simple reason its is easier to shoot from sand bags. I am really happy with the gun . I will see how mag #2 works and as a last resort ,go with the conversion kit . :wink:

"I choose the flush mount version for the simple reason its is easier to shoot from sand bags."

There are 5 or 10 round mags that don't extend much below the bottom of the stock

blammer

Single-Sixer
I have RARR's with flush and normal/inexpensive mags-for-caliber. When the flush mags work (sometimes after some tweaking of spring tension or sanding on feed lips) they work great. I would get the conversion kit anyway just in case you feel the need to upgrade your rifle to add more capacity (I've never done conversion).

i really like the RARR's. Bolt never got buttery smooth like some other rifles, but it works and rifle is really accurate.

57springer

Buckeye
blammer said:
I have RARR's with flush and normal/inexpensive mags-for-caliber. When the flush mags work (sometimes after some tweaking of spring tension or sanding on feed lips) they work great. I would get the conversion kit anyway just in case you feel the need to upgrade your rifle to add more capacity (I've never done conversion).

i really like the RARR's. Bolt never got buttery smooth like some other rifles, but it works and rifle is really accurate.
I been thinking of getting it. I looked at the parts breakdown, looks easy .

57springer

Buckeye
dfletcher said:
^
I had no idea such a thing existed.

Once again, being on this site costs me $$$ …..:)
After my conversation with ruger , I think this is a "fix " for the flush mounted mags. I talked to my hunting buddy this afternoon , he has a ruger ranch in 350 legend , no issues . I am wondering why the problem lies in the 556. caliber ?? :?:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
57springer said:
dfletcher said:
^

After my conversation with ruger , I think this is a "fix " for the flush mounted mags. I talked to my hunting buddy this afternoon , he has a ruger ranch in 350 legend , no issues . I am wondering why the problem lies in the 556. caliber ?? :?:

I did a search, couldn't find - gotta ask. Am I having my leg pulled & no such thing exists? :oops:

57springer

Buckeye
dfletcher said:
57springer said:
dfletcher said:
^

I did a search, couldn't find - gotta ask. Am I having my leg pulled & no such thing exists? :oops:
No, go to rugers web site and read the reviews on the magazine that fits the 556 ranch , its there.

57springer

Buckeye
Go to shopruger.com and select rifle parts accessories ,click on magazines and read the reviews . It is there, guaranteed . Part # for the mag is 90440 ,type it in the search, its quicker :wink:

blammer

Single-Sixer
57springer said:
dfletcher said:
^

1. The RARR in 350 Legend does not use the flush magazine: it uses AR mags from what I've read. Probably why you've not heard of this problem with the 350 version.

2. A clarification: A previous post mentioned Ruger Magazine #90440. This is the flush Ruger Magazine that OP has with his 556 RARR

3. I have never heard of a cheap kit to convert the flush-mag RARR to accept AR mags. There was some Lucky Gunner arrangement but I think it was imported and hard to get and not cheap. I've heard of stock replacements that MIGHT work, but never read of a person who actually did it and had it work. I did a little research, but maybe I missed it. Boyd's and MDT(?) have something that works with 'short action' Ruger bolts, but I did not pursue it.

4. OP: I would suggest the following. Shoot the RARR with your replacement flush magazine. If you like it (I love mine with a functioning mag) and plan to use it a lot, bite the bullet and buy another expensive mag. Or bite a bigger bullet and buy the RARR 556 which uses standard AR mags and have an excellent-shooting spare rifle instead

57springer

Buckeye
blammer , I am having no probs. with the replacement mag from ruger . So, yes the problem was with the mag that came with the gun , my gun came factory with a flush mount mag. My gun is just over 1 year old, model # is 6965. if you check rugers website this model no longer is made . Ruger will sell for 19 dollars plus 6 dollars shipping , the parts to make my flush mag rifle accept ar style mags . so I guess its not really a kit but it is available . Hopefully this clears up any confusion. Thanks .

ar15ed

Single-Sixer
okay. i will admit to being somewhat computer un-savvy, but i can't find anything on the conversion stuff. do you have to call ruger, or what. i am definitely interested if it is something that is available.

thanks for the help!!!

57springer

Buckeye
ar15ed said:
okay. i will admit to being somewhat computer un-savvy, but i can't find anything on the conversion stuff. do you have to call ruger, or what. i am definitely interested if it is something that is available.

thanks for the help!!!
Yes call ruger it is a fix , not available except at ruger . 8)