Flat Bolt Replacement/Synthetic Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I have a M77 Flat Bolt in .350 Remington Magnum. The factory stock is in nice shape, so I'm considering putting the rifle in a differnet stock in order to hunt it. Any suggestions?

I'm also wondering how similar the inletting is on a Flat Bolt as compared to a later tang safety M77 (especially for short actions). I have a few long action tang safety guns, but both of my short actions are Flat Bolts. So I don't have anything to compare it to. This may significantly limit my options.

Thanks,

SR

gunzo

Hunter
I'm not totally versed on tang safety models but am aware of most changes. That said, I don't know of any action/inletting changes within the series.

A call or email to the tech dept. of some of the larger, longest living aftermarket stock makers could get you an answer to this question.

A 350 flat bolt. Whew!. Before the internet it was probably the hardest to find Ruger of them all. Maybe still is. Enjoy it.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I have swapped a few round bolt stocks onto flat bolt rifles. The only difference I've found is that the round bolt stocks need a minor bit of relieving in the bolt handle cutout to clear the flat bolt handle. I've had a couple of different stocks on my flat bolt M77RS .350RemMag but it's back in its original stock now. Short action round bolt stocks are usually available on eBay.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the input guys.

Funny thing about the .350 RM Flat Bolt. I found one online (GunsInternational, I think), and that shop actually had two of them. I think they also had 4 Winchester 71s at the time, and it wasn't like they had a ton of guns listed. That shop was in Traverse City, MI. They must like big thumpers up there.

SR