Ruger No. 1 loose lever

Help Support Ruger Forum:

artey

Single-Sixer
Picked up a rebarreled No. 1 and it's seen some use. When the lever unlatches from the trigger guard it takes almost no effort to lower lever/breechblock. Is there a way to tighten this up some?

Or am I in the same situation as alping45 in his thread, where, without any breechface interference, theres nothing to offer any resistance?

Thanks for the help.

Artey

Hi I have a custom barreled #1 that has a similar problem my gun has a tight chamber and requires small base dies when reloading I believe where the lever and the toggle link join it gets worn out from crunching reloads that are not sized down enough as long as it closes up tight when loaded it should be ok JMO

Gramps

artey

Single-Sixer
Thanks Gramps, that's the situation with mine. It's an Ackley Improved so initial fireforming involoves a crush fit. Lockup is tight, but I will have tp pull it apart and inspect the link you mention.

Chief 101

Hunter
I have an old one that I use for varmints and it is a little loose levered when unloaded but seems to tighten up when cocked or loaded...I have no worries as this rifle has thousands+ rounds through it...just kinda broken in I hope

dlidster

Single-Sixer
I'm not certain I see a problem here. I have two No.1s, a 1A made in 1983 and a 1V made in 2001. Both are in perfect condition and are treated with TLC. When the hammer is cocked, the block will drop freely and very smoothly in the mortises in the frame in both of them. This is what I expect from a well-fitted instrument, which both of my No.1s are.

Of course, the block won't drop when the hammer is not cocked. Is there a chance the OP is unfamiliar with No. 1s?

alping45

Bearcat
artey said:
Picked up a rebarreled No. 1 and it's seen some use. When the lever unlatches from the trigger guard it takes almost no effort to lower lever/breechblock. Is there a way to tighten this up some?

Or am I in the same situation as alping45 in his thread, where, without any breechface interference, theres nothing to offer any resistance?

Thanks for the help.

Artey

Just got word from Ruger today that they fitted a new breech block in my No.1 and its on its way back. When I get it I'll report back to see what kind of effect it has on the feel of the lever.

And fwiw, the tech said the amount of play I had in the breech block was technically "in spec" but since he had it there he went ahead and refit a new one anyway, and said he made it as tight as possible per their go/nogo gaging. He said that now it felt snug closing on the gage. So we'll see.

artey

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the update alping45, please report your findings when you get it back.

dlidster, this is my 3rd No. 1 and I would say it is the most well used one I have ever handled. Cocked or uncocked, loaded(except with unfireformed, crushed brass) or unloaded, when the lever latch is unhooked from trigger guard, the lever falls loosely until the ejector presents resistance, much more so than my others.

Perhaps I am just used to my high walls which offer spring resistance the whole way, but I've never had a lever action or falling block that could operate on strictly gravity with no mechanical resistance.