No. 1 .450 bushmaster breech block sloppy. Normal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alping45

Bearcat
I've never owned any of the Ruger falling blocks and have only handled a couple. I just got a great deal on a no. 1 .450 bushmaster stainless/laminate and have to say that for the premium these bring I was expecting a bit more in terms of fit and finish. Nothing too extreme but the wood/metal fit is less than stellar, theres bit of play in the lever, and the breech block moves freely in every direction when cocked to the point that it rattles noticeably when carrying it. Are these normal attributes or did I get a bad one?

alping45

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
Is the breech block tight(or at least snug) with a round chambered?

I wouldn't say so. Maybe slightly less movement but still rattles and I can fit a .004" feeler gage down the back of the breech block and .003" down the side with a round chambered.

Makes for a very loose feeling lever since there is no drag on the breech block.

If these were in the same price range as their bolt guns I wouldn't even be questioning it. But being about twice the cost I'm wondering what I'm paying for?

eastbank

Single-Sixer
i just checked the five # 1,s i own and there is a little movement of the breech block in the cocked posion unloaded and not any in the fired posion unloaded, and none with a cartige in the cocked condition. no rattle any any time. call ruger, and maybe a trip back ruger.

RSIno1

Hunter
alping45 said:
.... have to say that for the premium these bring I was expecting a bit more in terms of fit and finish.
Now they are just another profit center for the Ruger bean counters. Back in the day the No1 was Bill Ruger's halo product to show off the skills and artistry of his company.

alping45

Bearcat
I sent it back. They just called me today saying they fit a new breech block and its on its way back.

One of the other issues I brought up was a significant gap where the forend met the receiver, the tech told me that it was supposed to be there and that all no. 1's have it. The way he explained it basically sounded like a "free float" function designed to maintain accuracy. This I can understand, but the gap seems excessive... Here is a pic. Does this look normal?
https://ibb.co/dmQp8H5

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Would not call the gap normal. However it falls in the realm of the varying gaps I have seen. As for the free float bs it is just that. How is it anything free floating when the straight edges are tight to the receiver. Sadly Ruger fit and finish on on stock or grip fit is a roll of the dice. Seems laminate stocks tend to be fitted a little more sloppy for some reason. Perhaps because it is not as easy to do any minor hand fitting of laminate compared to solid wood, they want to make sure the the stock will fit as it comes out of the CNC.