Another M77 Tang Safety Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Goss

Bearcat
Greetings,
I have a M77 Ultarlight in 308 that you have to move the tang to "Fire" in order to open the bolt, and another M77 in 270 that the bolt opens with the safety in "Fire" or "Safe".
Did Ruger do some switching around of the Tang Safety design during the run of the M77? If not, then it means someone messed around with the 270 before I got it.
Thanks in advance.
Goss

I believe they made that change in 1984, prior to the introduction of the MkII rifles...my guess is your 270 was made in 1984 or later..

I am not sure if Ruger would have or could make that change to pre-1984 rifles if the rifle was sent in for repair, for example...I suppose that may have been possible.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Tang safety rifles after 79-49999 have the ability to be opened whether on Fire or Safe. Rifles serial numbered before that point can be easily changed if you want that feature on your ultralight. Just call the NH Ruger parts telephone number and order part number D-35A. That part is a c-clip that attaches to the safety shaft. Next time you disassemble your rifle, remove the bolt and you can see the c-clip rotate when you move the safety from Safe to Fire, it's on the right side of the bolt raceway just aft of the receiver bridge.

Ted

Goss

Bearcat
TBear77 said:
Tang safety rifles after 79-49999 have the ability to be opened whether on Fire or Safe. Rifles serial numbered before that point can be easily changed if you want that feature on your ultralight. Just call the NH Ruger parts telephone number and order part number D-35A. That part is a c-clip that attaches to the safety shaft. Next time you disassemble your rifle, remove the bolt and you can see the c-clip rotate when you move the safety from Safe to Fire, it's on the right side of the bolt raceway just aft of the receiver bridge.

Ted

Excellent! Thank you very much!!

richboise

Bearcat
Thank you TBear77 for that information.
Great article. More knowledge learned today.
My M77 is a 74 Series, made in 1980.

Rich

dgr416

Single-Sixer
There is a washer you can replace on the safety so that you can open the bolt without taking the safety off .It makes life way easier and safer. I CHANGED all my old rugers over to this and It makes them even better rifles.

IIRC on the older 77's the bolt is locked down in the safe position, If you make the change it's not so the bolt can come out of position due to brush clothing snag etc. I prefer it locked down.