Good Quality Magazines for Mini-14?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tip

Single-Sixer
So, I finally got a Mini-14... always wanted one but, wanted to find a good deal first.
These don't surface much in my regular "fishin' holes" and to find a very clean example (a 1998 SS Ranch Rifle) with a decent scope was a plus!

Only shortcoming: it came with only one 5-round magazine.

For those with experience, please share your recommendations regarding value, brand, (if aftermarket) and source.

Thanks, all!

There are no after-market magazines that have given me more trouble than those for a Mini-14.

Some folks have had decent luck with some after market brands. I no longer will even try anything but factory original Ruger brand.

Tip said:
Thank you for the replies...
Looks like I'll order 30-rounders from the Ruger site.

This is personal preference but I recommend trying a 20 round magazine, that's what I prefer. The 30 round magazines just seem to throw the gun a little out of balance for me...YMMV.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
You can go prone or shoot off a pickup hood with the 20s. With 30s it's pretty hard to do that.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Btw, I found a NIB "LE ONLY" 20-rd mag. for a fair price.
At least now, I've got a few factory magazines to test at the range.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I picked up some unbranded Mini 14 magazines a few years back that had me thinking Ruger manufactured them during their "we don't like +10 round magazines" days. Weld spots, steel gauge and by all appearances look like Ruger factory. And they work. But other than those, I stick with factory. Agree, 20 rounders over 30.

Tip

Single-Sixer
COSteve said:
dfletcher said:
I picked up some unbranded Mini 14 magazines a few years back that had me thinking Ruger manufactured them during their "we don't like +10 round magazines" days. Weld spots, steel gauge and by all appearances look like Ruger factory. And they work. But other than those, I stick with factory. Agree, 20 rounders over 30.
I agree that the 20rd are better balanced than the 30rd. And actually, Ruger subcontracts to mag manufactures who make them per Ruger's specifications. So they don't actually manufacture any themselves. How do I know? Look at my reply to the quote below.

Blackmore said:
If CDNN ever gets any more of the OE straight 20 rounders, they're GTG.
Absolutely agree. I have 5ea Ruger brand 20rd curved mags and 5ea OE brand 20rd straight mags as the OE brand are actually manufactured better than the Ruger's. Instead of a bent mag catch loop like Ruger uses, OE spot welds on a solid tab just like the quality M14 mags are made. In addition, the OE mag bodies have better spotwelds and actually fit much more securely in the magwell. As far as feeding, I've had no issues with either the OE or Ruger mags so they both are reliable...

...the straight mags are a must for the vibe. Don't you agree?

39j2Tdw.jpg

YES! I agree! That's a good "look."

I appreciate the shared knowledge here. Thanks, Steve...
Thanks, everyone.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I've had good luck with aftermarket mags. I have a federal ordnance brand and 2 PMI mags.(Precision Mag Industries)
Got them on gunbroker
Congrats on your purchase. It Looks nice. My Mini 14 is a stainless/wood stock as well and it's one of the best looking combinations in my opinion.