No. 1 help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
I found a No. 1 in 257 Roberts at a gun store yesterday. Judging from the serial number I believe the manufacture year to be 2010. The rifle has the Alex Henry fore arm, barrel mounted sling stud, and front sight. But...It is missing the quarter rib. I have always wanted a Ruger No. 1 in 257 Roberts (I already re-load this caliber) and I prefer the lines of the Light or Medium Sporter. I'm not well enough versed on No. 1's to know if this is a 1-A or 1-S (I'm assuming a 1-A). Yes I own Claytons book, but my time with the rifle was limited and the gun store is about two hours away so unfortunately I can't get much more information. My question is, does anyone know where I could buy the quarter rib and is there a difference in quarter-ribs between the 1-A or 1-S? The Ruger website does not list quarter-ribs for sale, but I have not called them yet. I would really like to make an offer if I could obtain a quarter rib. The shop owner said he has not been able to locate one and from the layer of dust on the rifle it has been on the rack for some time.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
I think you'll find Ruger very helpful. While this part (as are most) is not listed on the web site, you'll be able to order it from Ruger Customer Service in Newport, NH (603-865-2442). If you don't have a copy of the instruction manual, download one from Ruger's web site. Then turn to page 35 of the manual for an exploded view of the No. 1. You're going to want parts starting with part -135 listed beginning on page 28. This will all become clear when you have the manual.

I think you'll find the CS folks extremely helpful and the parts pricing fair. But, because the screws are required to be torqued down quite tightly, Ruger might suggest sending them the rifle so they can do the installation.

If I had stumbled across a prize like you have, I'd probably put the rifle into Ruger's care.

(BTW, if it has a 22" barrel it's a 1A; a 26" barrel is a 1S. Again, the Ruger folks will help you out.

Latest posts