Question, do Ruger American rifles rust?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I shoulda bought the stainless version when they had them but the current say they are made from an alloy steel.

Anybody getting any rust?

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I have an RAR and have not had any problem with rust yet. I just wipe it down occasionally.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
gunman42782 said:
Any gun will rust if not properly taken care of.

Any gun except a Marlin stainless. I don't clean guns and I've yet to have a speck of rust. I hunt harsh conditions. Haven't had a model seven stainless rust either. I only clean the bores and thats about every three years. I hunt probably 160 days per year.

I guarantee an American rimfire will rust. One of my Grandsons put a big fat salty thumbprint on the barrel right beside the rear sight and then stuck the rifle back where I keep it. It's fore ever imprinted in glaring detail.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Some people react differently with metals and will leave fingerprints that rust easily and quickly. It doesn't mean a certain gun is inferior. Some like me never have an issue with it when handling guns. I wipe mine down religiously anyways just in case.

And any gun ever made can rust or will rust in time. It just needs the right conditions met. There are no magic guns that will never rust , just ones that haven't been in the right combination of conditions...

Yes, even SS will "rust" BUT my old 22/45 SS has seen nearly every condition the Midwest can produce and hasn't shown a speck of "rust".
Out on the trap line stuff happens. Wet happens. Handling with gloves soaked with blood, urine, bait, and sweat happens. Getting dropped in mud happens. Getting left in a wet leather holster happens. ALL of these things will produce almost instant rust on blued guns but that old 22/45 looks as good (or bad) as it did when I got it used 15-16 years ago.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I've yet to meet a person that hunts more, subjects rifles to the elements over several states including salt, and neglects firearm cleaning more than myself.

My stainless marlins and model sevens, do not rust...period. My Hawkeye all-weather gets a funny stain.

I can take the same marlin in blue and after one season it looks 50 years old. A good splash of blood and a rain, its downhill from there.

Back in the days when I was heavily into "Mauser tinkering", I bought some Parker Hale take-off barrels that came from British "sniper rifles"(don't know if they really were or just marksmanship grade rifles). Those had a finish that was nearly rustproof and indestructible. Possibly an earlier version of "nitride" coating? This was long before any mention of such a process in the commercial firearms world.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Get some RIG and wipe guns down w/ that periodically. NO rust if dome faithfully esp the fingerprint variety.

I wipe every gun before locking em up to remove those salty prints.