.375 Ruger Alaskan

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I've been looking at the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger.

I'm interested to hear some feedback from those of you who own one. In particular, three things:
1) A 20" barrel seems short to me for that cartridge. Please comment.
2) How good of a job do you think the muzzle brake does?
3) How much POI shift do you experience when you replace the brake with the muzzle weight?

The goal would be to use the brake at the range (mostly) and use the weight in the field.

Thanks,

SR

I have the new version of the Alaskan in 375 Ruger. The cartridge was based around the 20" barrel and it makes for a handy size. The brake works well, with no POI issues with or without it installed. I will be keeping mine installed from now on. I like the Hogue stock.

I also have a Guide gun in 338 Ruger Compact Magnum. It has the laminated stock which I like equally well. I have shot it more w/o the brake and again no noticeable change with POI. I may eventually sell this one as I don't need both, but it is one of my favorite bolt guns.

When shooting I don't notice a lot of difference in muzzle blast with or without the brake. BUT I'm sure onlookers might.

I see you are fairly close. I'm in Galesburg, so if you get up my way you are welcome to shoot it.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner - thanks for the input. It's good to hear from somebody with first-hand experience.

I have looked at the guide gun as well. But I think I prefer the Hogue stock.

SR

gunzo

Hunter
south_ridge,
Your barrel length question. A 20" barrel might hurt a 264 Win mag or the like to the tune of 50 fps per inch of length or more, by shortening the barrel from 24 or 26". OTOH, the larger the bore compared to case size will suffer loss at a much lower number..
A case by case study would have to be done to be sure, but many test have shown that most cartridges with a normal or balanced capacity to bore relationship will only experience a 20-25 fps loss per inch over the book figure of a 24'' barrel.
The 20" that you question should perform to the expectations of the cartridge. If you might still question, the once made 23" African in 375 Ruger should more than make the cartridge about all it can be.

A bit less winded reply might be; barrel length concerns normally only apply to high speed, over bore cartridges when the shooter is looking for the ultimate velocity, or increased sighting radius when using iron sights. Otherwise, the shorter tube pays off in spades with portability.

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
Have several in this caliber. Two with the ionbond finish in 20 inch barrels. I find they are solid performers. I've used mine on a number of animals and I have come to respect the cartridge. Took it to Oz not to far back and used it for a mess of Asian Water Buffalo.
https://youtu.be/yG69fG06osQ

After talking with Larry Weishun, I made my mind up to get the 375 Ruger. I was looking for one of the first Alaskan models with the Hogue stock, then Ruger brought out the Guide Gun. I liked the Hogue stock but the also liked the muzzle brake system on the Guide Gun. So, when Ruger anounced the new version of the Alakan with Hogue stock and the muzzle brake, I headed to my LGS and had her order me one.

mlazarus5388,
What ammo did you use on your water buff.

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
Nomosendero said:
Is the Hogue stock on the new Alaskan the stock with pillars or the bedding block?

I would guess the pillar bedding not the full block, as that is what they have done on the past. Despite being "just pillar" bedding, I still like them and they are a solid value. I used on on a Guide Gun in 300 Win Mag and it is comfortable and accurate.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
I bet you are right, for me at least it would be worth it if they charged a little more for the bedding block but I agree it's a good value & a nice rifle.