Red Label Marking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
I just picked up a supposedly unfired Red Label from my lgs. It looks like it has never been out of the box. I haven't researched the year yet. It is 12ga with 28" barrels and fixed chokes. My question is about a mark on the butt pad on the black piece in between the stock and red pad. It looks like a handwritten letter R or possibly a VC. Could this be an inspectors mark? Or a recall completion mark? I can't imagine why the previous owner would write on an otherwise untouched gun so I would think it's factory. If I ever figure out how to post pics I will if anyone is interested.

barrett93

Single-Sixer
MalteseHoss said:
I just picked up a supposedly unfired Red Label from my lgs. It looks like it has never been out of the box. I haven't researched the year yet. It is 12ga with 28" barrels and fixed chokes. My question is about a mark on the butt pad on the black piece in between the stock and red pad. It looks like a handwritten letter R or possibly a VC. Could this be an inspectors mark? Or a recall completion mark? I can't imagine why the previous owner would write on an otherwise untouched gun so I would think it's factory. If I ever figure out how to post pics I will if anyone is interested.

Well, MalteseHoss, I just dug a Red Label out of the safe. This one is a 1986 model 12 gauge with 28" barrels and fixed chokes. And I will be damned if it doesn't have the same mark in the same place. It's definitely an R though. There is enough variance in mine from yours to tell it's an R and not a stacked VC.

No idea what this means still but it is interesting. I had never noticed this before.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Thank you for that information!! I guess the mystery continues but now I know that it most likely came from the factory that way.