Remington

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mac66

Single-Sixer
$250 would be fair to me. Kind of a ho-hum rifle in a desirable but nearly obsolete cartridge. At least that would be my argument to bring the price down.

57springer

Buckeye
I was at an estate auction 2 Saturdays ago. 148 guns . Mostly Remington with a few Winchesters . I saw rem 760s sell for $3000 dollars and up . Most of these guns were NIB with boxes , paper work etc. I just could not believe the prices !!!

Would make a difference if it was one of the "old original" 760's or one of the later short runs. The original rifles have reached "collectible" age and finding a nice one in the less common calibers would increase the value.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I'd have to have a shooter grade because the first thing I'd do is make it a 358 Winchester, but that's just me. Bob :mrgreen:

buffalocannon

Bearcat
Gosh, I found just the site to ask a non-Ruger question. I have owned and own several Ruger handguns, rifles, and shotguns, but also own some old Remington bolt actions. I have dated all of them but one. It says "Remington Model 700" on action and "serial #837XX." Kind of fancy with factory recoil pad and checkering and monte carlo but used and beat up a tad. Has been rebarreled with heavy barrel and muzzle brake so no barrel code available. I am guessing it is from early 60s because of 5-digit number? I believe they started making the 700 in 1961/62? Thanks!

eastbank

Single-Sixer
why stop with the .358, i have three 35 whelens, a remington 7600-custom 98 mauser-ruger #1. from woodchucks to bear.

Arky

Single-Sixer
I would love to have one. The 760 was not popular in this part of the world. I have looked in shops and gone to gun shows in South Arkansas and NE Texas for years. I have seen "one" 760 that must have ridden around in the back of someones truck for a few months.
I love the 35 Rem and for a while wanted a 760 to go Whelan with. I have a Whelan in a bolt gun now.
Problem is I would not love to have one enough to pay big bucks. I am not a collector, just a shooter.
I also don't do gun auctions.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
When I first decided I wanted a 760 Carbine in .308 several years ago, I looked on Gunbroker, and there was a nice one, reasonably priced. "Oh," I sez to myself, "guess they aren't too hard to find." So I let that one pass. Haven't seen one since. A few in .30-06, but nary another in .308. Sigh. Oh, well, I have too many .308s already.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Remington makes Great Rifles, Shotguns, and 1911s Pistols.
I really like Remington. I've always liked Remington.

Is the 760 a Slide-Action or Semi-Auto? Either way they
don't seem to be popular. The last one I seen was going
for $300, don't remember what Caliber.

I think that 35 Rem Cartridge would be neat. I know one thing,
I would defiantly reload the Cartridges with Small Base sizing Dies.
This will insure good Chambering in the Pump/Auto actions.

The Best to you and your Endeavor.

hittman

Staff member
Not the exact same gun but I recently bought a Remington 7615 and was happy to find one under $1000.00.

I've always been a pump action rifle fan .... especially the Remington's - regardless of caliber.

57springer

Buckeye
Mobuck said:
Would make a difference if it was one of the "old original" 760's or one of the later short runs. The original rifles have reached "collectible" age and finding a nice one in the less common calibers would increase the value.
These guns were mostly unfired Nib with 'Tootsie Roll " slides . That is how the auctioneer described them . I am a ruger guy , not to say anything bad about Remington. I have many rimfire Rems just no centerfires . There were some odd ball calibers like .244? No BS several of these guns were in the $3500- 3800 price range . !!

hittman

Staff member
And remember these guns were replaced by the 7600 about 40 years ago.

At that age, maybe prices come up some for die hard Remington collectors.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Not that I have the $ to spend on one, but I remember seeing a 760 (I assume) in .300 Savage, which is my deer hunting caliber of choice. I thought that would have been a cool rifle to have.

I was also surprised a few months ago to find a Remington 700 in .300 Savage on the used rifle rack at the range at which I was shooting.

I think my uncle has a 760 in .35 Remington that's been in the family many years. The receiver is cracked and was braised to repair it many years ago, so it hasn't been fired in several decades.

Aqualung

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
Grice Wholesale in PA has exclusive runs of 7600s off and on for decades. Right now they have three different 35 Whelens.
There was a run of 200 35 Rem 7600 carbines about 20 years ago. I had one and got $800+ for it on Gunbroker a couple years ago.