Building a custom Ruger 77 tang safety 260 rem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I am building a custom 260 rem on a ruger 77 tang safety 243 win with iron sites .I wish I could put the iron sites on the new barrel is that possible. What barrels work best with Rugers. I HAVE a Boyd's laminated stock that's awesome looking with the black forend on it .I will use the original stock too .I have been using my ruger tang safety 338 ruger 77 for 33 years now its time to down size .I really like the 260 rem and I want a stainless barrel. I thought the iron sites would look cool on a stainless barrel. I thought about just selling the 243 barrel with the sites on it and not using open sites if they can't be used again .I am putting a 24 inch barrel on it. This should be an awesome rifle It will have a 1 in 7.5 twist .This will be my last hunting rifle .

TBear77

Single-Sixer
I am building a similar rifle in 260...but went with a 20-inch barrel and am putting it into an ultralight stock.

The sights can be removed, there is a detent pin under the sight that holds it on. The hole is just aft of the front sight blade; use a stout pin or a punch to depress the detent pin and the front sight blade will slide off toward the muzzle. Then the front sight has a set screw holding it on. The aft sights will need to be drilled/tapped on your new barrel.

Here's the rub...your new barrel will need to be profiled so that the muzzle is the same diameter as your 243 barrel. So if your 243 barrel has a muzzle diameter of 0.550" at 22", then your new barrel will also need the same muzzle diameter at 24". Any of the barrel manufacturers can profile to that muzzle diameter, and may be willing to install the sights for you. I used McGowen Barrels and they did a turnkey job on the new barrel for me.

hope this helps,
Ted

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
I am planning on something similar. Several years ago I bought a new takeoff barrel in .260 from a 77 MkII. Later I ran across sights from a 77 7mm Rem. ST. I occasionally look for a decent tang safety 77 with a butchered barrel that could be bought cheap enough to make the project somewhat economically feasible. I have had a couple of .260 MkIIs but just hate the safeties.

I am thinking of having it rechambered to 260AI. The 1/8 twist should be perfect and the Ruger hammer forged barrel should shoot fine. I have a Model Seven .260 I hunt with and the box is short, can go barely over 2.8" but it is a joy to carry. The Ruger box is longer.

I am a little curious, why a 1/7 twist? Do you have a really long bullet in mind?

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I shoot lapua 155 grain mega tip and want to also shoot 156 grain burger bullets. I JUST switched to the 260 rem from my 338 win mag tang safety ruger 77 .The 243 I am making it from just didn't kill deer like I wanted it to .We have deer up to 300 pounds and hogs to 450 so it takes some knock down power way out there. I TRIED my ruger 264 win mag stainless ruger 77 mark II but it kicks as hard or worse than my 338 win mag .I have two of those 264 win mag model 77 stainless might sell them .THEY shoot tiny groups with those lapua bullets also .I used my 338 win mag tang safety 77 34 years and wanted a little version of it with knockdown power. I shot hogs and huge bucks with that lapua bullet it's awesome. I have two of those ruger 77 243 tang safety thought of a 260 rem in one and a 338 federal in the other. The 260 rem is becoming my favorite cartridge very quickly. I MAKE brass with mixed once fired 243 and 308 brass and it shoots clover leaf groups in my savage model 11.I HOPE this ruger 260 will shoot as good as that cheap savage 260 .

It will be less expensive to just buy a 6.5 Creedmore of somewhat similar size than to rebarrel your 243. Darned near every rifle maker has a 6.5C cataloged. If you choose to continue, I'd suggest measuring the magazine box of the 243 to make sure it's as long as your Savage 11.