Ruger M77 RLS 250 savage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mhead

Bearcat
Did Ruger ever make a actual RLS in 250 savage? I've seen a couple but paused on the purchase because I thought they might be RSI rifles restocked with ultralite stocks. Can anyone tell me if and when the RLS would have been chambered in 250 savage.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
Is the RLS the Ultra Lite model? If so I did buy one in the early 90s. It had a 20" pencil thin barrel. I've since rebarreled it with a 24" Shilen barrel.
I also have two other M77s in 250 that I've restocked. One is 200th yr anniversary model in a Ruger Ultra Lite stock & the other model with the factory stock slimmed down, refinished & added an ebony tip.
All nice rifles. All ebony fore end tips as they should be.
Beruisis

Beruisis said:
Is the RLS the Ultra Lite model? If so I did buy one in the early 90s. It had a 20" pencil thin barrel. I've since rebarreled it with a 24" Shilen barrel.
I also have two other M77s in 250 that I've restocked. One is 200th yr anniversary model in a Ruger Ultra Lite stock & the other model with the factory stock slimmed down, refinished & added an ebony tip.
All nice rifles. All ebony fore end tips as they should be.
Beruisis
The RLS had an 18 1/2" barrel, open sights and the Ultralight stock w/ ebony fore end ...I am not sure Ruger ever catalogued an RLS in 250/3000 (which is what Ruger would have called it I believe), but never say never with Ruger, if they had left over actions from not selling enough RLI's, they could possibly have released some as RLS's. A factory letter would be required to confirm....someone more knowledgeable hopefully will come along and educate us.

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
As NH Rugerman stated, anything is possible. All I know is Ruger cataloged only 4 chambering in the RLS configuration. The short action .243 & .308 Win and the long action .270 Win & .30-06. As stated, a factory letter would be needed to confirm authenticity.

mhead

Bearcat
The RLS is an ultralite carbine of 18 1/2" barrel with rifle sights I believe. I've never seen but two and wasn't for sure if they were restocked RSIs or real 250 savage rls rifles. Thanks for the info.

chet15

Hawkeye
I know of an RL in .250-3000, but have never noted an RLS. Wouldn't be surprised if a couple got out though.
Such things were running around about the time the RSI came out, 7mm-08 etc.
Chet15

Jbr002

Bearcat
As NH Rugerman stated, anything is possible. All I know is Ruger cataloged only 4 chambering in the RLS configuration. The short action .243 & .308 Win and the long action .270 Win & .30-06. As stated, a factory letter would be needed to confirm authenticity.
Hey man I am from over the highway in Collinsville I just joined the forum I got a ruger m77 tang from a guy in Washington state that is pencil barrel with sights and in a walnut stock with black for-end cap. Its in 250-3000 the guy said he bought it new and was all org. I see you have ton of posts and look like the expert on old tang safety rugers. Is this one special should I not beat it up hunting. Also got a carbine 358 from a guy that I dont know much about said it was a ruger employee gun. Has Laminated black for-end cap in the 358 carbine. Just looking for answers dont want to go brush busting with something special.

Thanks.

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Jbr002 ….. that member you addressed hasn't signed on since early 2022 so may be a while before you hear back.

Jbr002

Bearcat
Welcome to the forum Jbr002 ….. that member you addressed hasn't signed on since early 2022 so may be a while before you hear back.
Ok thanks I am new to this forum does anyone else know anything on these rifles. I kind of collect them and hunt with them. I replied as I found this user that was 10 miles from where I grew up but any knowledge any one has would be great. I dont want to beat up a collectors item. but if they are run of the mill guns I will hunt em.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I owned a 250 Savage tang safety Ruger 77 in an RLS configuration. I suspect it was an RSI in an RL stock, as there was a wear mark on the muzzle consistent with what I have seen on some RSI's. It had a lot of wear.
Bfly