M77 Tang Safety questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

artey

Single-Sixer
Picked up an unfired M77 in 7mm Rem Mag, with iron sights, today at the Bozeman gunshow. I have always refrained from buying the tang safety versions because of owning so many Mark 2s. I couldn't pass this one up however. SN dates it to 1992. I do have a couple questions...

This gun has what looks to be a Mark 2 stock, black recoil pad, matte finish. Was this gun built close enough to the end of the m77 production that the newer style stocks were being used?

Also has matte aluminum floorplate/trigger guard assembly. Its the m77 style floorplate release but I thought the floorplates were steel?

Thanks for the help.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Artey, I had a 7mmRM round top that I bought, at all places, JC Penney back in the mid seventies for around $160 out the door. I still have a 308 RS that I bought when my son was born in 1980, a fine rifle! Bob!! :mrgreen:

I was gifted a new Ruger 77 in 1981 and it had an aluminum floorplate/trigger guard. An airline damaged the stocks of it and a T/C .54 Hawken (despite the hard case requirements) to the extent that there was a significant settlement. Didn't mention the replacement of a Leupold 6.5x20 scope, Leupold did that for no charge. Sent the 77 Ruger to my Brother who was at the Colorado School of Trades. This was pre-internet days, but I learned that the Ruger 77 in 458 Win. Mag. used a steel floorplate/trigger guard. Since he was in the business he was able to get me one, along with a (then) new McMillan synthetic stock. Cool then, but now I lean towards walnut.

Hi I have been searching for a few months for a short action set with no luck finally had a member here sell me a steel set I do not believe any one is making them at this time good luck with your search

Gramps

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
There is a gentleman in Idaho making steel trigger guards & floor plates.
I've bought several from him.
Beruisis

57springer said:
buckeyeshooter said:
I buy the tang safety guns, couldn't give me the model 70 style.
I agree they are the best in my opinion as well . :wink:
Think about it. The tang safety requires minimal movement to operate the safety. I really wanted to try a thumbhole stock on my RAR deer rifle, but changed my mind when I thought about having to release my grip on the stock to take the tang safety off. Same with the M77 safety. I prefer the tang safety on my RAR and No. 1.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
6GUNSONLY said:
Do you have contact info you could share?
Thanks,
Ken
It was Moyers Gun Parts. somewhere in Idaho I believe. I don't think he operates by a company name but as an individual. Not easy to find but was worthwhile in my opinion. I'll look around tonight to see if I still have his phone number.
Beruisis