Number 1 in 22 hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi the original 1A hornets were hard to come by and can bring prices well north of 1K the newer ones are not that hard to find just check Gun Broker now a days you can not buy much of any #1 for less than a grand I have been looking for a beater #1 or #3 for the action and rusty junk with no wood are bringing $600-$750 JUST CRAZY IMO

Gramps

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
If it's one of the uncatalogued 1As from the late 80s, then that's a steal!
If it's a 1B with red pad, it may be a $1000 gun if it's in excellent shape with nice wood.
If it's the newer 1A with faux case colors, they are asking around $1500+ for them, but I don't see many selling at that price.
Ruger also made quite a few No. 3s in 22 Hornet; also not a $1000 gun in almost all cases.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
gewehrfreund said:
If it's the newer 1A with faux case colors, they are asking around $1500+ for them, but I don't see many selling at that price.

I don't think the case coloring on the newer No. 1 hornets is faux ? I believe Bobby Tyler did those.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
mrbumps said:
gewehrfreund said:

I don't think the case coloring on the newer No. 1 hornets is faux ? I believe Bobby Tyler did those.

Yes, he did, but it's chemical CC versus heat-treated, bone charcoal etc. CC. "Faux" is just my own word for it.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Bobby Tyler may comment on this, he is a member here, but his process is well regarded.

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2019/06/18/bobby-tyler-casehardening/

loaded round

Hunter
I've owned a 1B 22 H w/ a red pad for many years now. It's an excellent shooter giving me 1'' 3 shot groups. Never considered my 22 hornet to be a valuable or collectible firearm.