350 Legend

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JStacy

Blackhawk
approximately a rimless 357 max. It would be a good 100 to 150 yard deer gun-- white tail not mule deer. It is just another round to fit the RARR platform.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Well, it is a 35 caliber bullet running at 35 Rem velocities (180 gr) and has a light recoil impulse. It has similar ballistics to the 30-30 Win at the lighter bullet weights but with a bigger bullet. It is available in reasonably priced bolt guns and inexpensive AR barrels and uppers (if you look around). It shoots relatively flat out to about 175 yards. Practice ammo (Win white box) is inexpensive and hunting ammo is way cheaper than 450BM. I hunted with a 450BM this year and killed a nice doe on opening day. I then switched to the 350L and killed another nice doe near the end of the second week. Both were inside of 100 yards using home built AR uppers. Both shot into one ragged hole at 50 yards while sighting in. If I had to choose between the two I would probably choose the 350L.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Stumps, you asked for pros and cons, so here goes. Pros: Its readily available in AR platforms, including Ruger's handgun version, 2, other than AR's, many makers offer economy bolt action and possibly single shot rifles, 3 ammo is readily available ranging from WW's affordable white box to Hornady and Federal's hunting loads, 4, reloading dies, brass, and bullets are readily available from several makers, and 5 According to WW, it's legal in 47 states to use for hunting. Lite recoil and cheap to feed are also pros. About the only con is that it is about equal to a 35 Remington. Comparing it to a 30-30 is like apples and oranges. The 350 is NOT a long range hammer like a 7mm Magnum or even a 358 Winchester. Basically, if one remembers the old 351 Winchester, this would be WW's answer to the 35 Remington. My 2 cents worth. FWIW, I have the Ruger ranch rifle in 350. Bob! :wink:

Designed to meet the deer hunting regulations of some "misguided" states. Maybe suitable for certain other uses but IMHO probably has more recoil than I'd want a kid to receive and only marginally more effective than the 300AAC which offers less recoil.
If it fits your needs, fine.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
Designed to meet the deer hunting regulations of some "misguided" states. Maybe suitable for certain other uses but IMHO probably has more recoil than I'd want a kid to receive and only marginally more effective than the 300AAC which offers less recoil.
If it fits your needs, fine.

Actually the recoil, at least in an AR is about the same as a 223/556. Very little. Ballistically it beats the 300 by a significant measure.

langenc

Single-Sixer
I have the 77/44 and it is very good for deer here where shots are mostly less than 150 and where I hunt mostly less than 100 yrds. The 350 would be an excellent deer gun for most of MI. Im not a 400 yarder anyway.

If I didnt have the 77/4 Id already have ba upper in 350..

Can you fire the 357 mag in the 350 legend?? Please dont flame.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I doubt that one could get the bolt to close on a 357 round. The 357 is rimmed and the 350 L is a rebated rimless design. The 350 L is basically blown out 223 case to straight taper with a slightly larger base diameter, but the same rim diameter as the 223 family of cartridges. The base of the 350 L is much larger in diameter that the 357 round. So the simple answer is NO. Bob! :wink:

langenc

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:
I doubt that one could get the bolt to close on a 357 round. The 357 is rimmed and the 350 L is a rebated rimless design. The 350 L is basically blown out 223 case to straight taper with a slightly larger base diameter, but the same rim diameter as the 223 family of cartridges. The base of the 350 L is much larger in diameter that the 357 round. So the simple answer is NO. Bob! :wink:

I didnt think so but had not investigated the possibility. I guess if I wanted to have a short gun and long of same caliber I should find a M29 to go with my 77/44.

RED

Bearcat
Stumps13:

I bought an American Ranch in .350 Legend and have to say it is really a nice gun for the price. The only complaint I have is it was (still is but improving) very hard to cock. I have bad shoulders but compared to my other bolt actions, it was very stiff at first. Other than that, it is really accurate, very little recoil (good for the shoulder) and is light and carries nicely. Happy Holidays!

Take care,
Bob

blammer

Single-Sixer
RED. RARR should loosen up after a few hundred bolt cycles. After a few 'dry' cycles, without taking the bolt apart, I spray inside the bolt from the back end (aim lube can tube forward into the bolt from inside the shroud) and the large hole near the lug end and through the firing pin hole with the Hornady Gun Cleaner (NOT the case lube). It leaves a dry lube film when it evaporates, so should not gum anything up or attract dirt. Not sure how much that has helped make the bolt throw easier, but all my bolts are much easier than when new. Should also be more rust-proofed. Time will tell.

If you really wanted to get the cocking cams loosened up, you could take the bolt apart to lube the cams. It's not complicated, but it takes some effort the first time. I've only done it once on one bolt for educational purposes.

RED

Bearcat
blammer:

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been working the bolt which has seemed to improve (that or my muscles are improving!). I will try spraying the Hornady cleaner inside the bolt. Thanks again!

Take care,
Bob

mac66

Single-Sixer
langenc said:
I have the 77/44 and it is very good for deer here where shots are mostly less than 150 and where I hunt mostly less than 100 yrds. The 350 would be an excellent deer gun for most of MI. Im not a 400 yarder anyway.

If I didnt have the 77/4 Id already have ba upper in 350..

Can you fire the 357 mag in the 350 legend?? Please dont flame.

No, the 357 mag is a rimmed cartridge whereas the 350L is a rimless/recessed rim cartridge. They are completely different. The 350L is significantly more powerful.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I have really been tempted to buy Ruger's AR-556 pistol:

https://ruger.com/products/ar556Pistol/specSheets/8571.html

RED

Bearcat
blammer:

Sprayed inside the bolt with Hornady One-Shot cleaner/lube and cocked it 100 times or so. Definitely made a difference. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Take care,
Bob