Ruger American Ranch Rifle bolt problem--------------------

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I bought this 7.62X39 Ranch rifle last week and I had a problem. I was shooting it and after about 20 rounds the bolt wouldn't close on the next round. I pulled the cartridge out by hand and tried to cycle the bolt again. It would not go in. When I got home I called Ruger and ask what was causing this. A nice young lady said to hold the bolt handle down and rotate the rear of the bolt, shroud, to the left and listen for a click. She said it wasn't cocked. I did that and it worked fine after that. I asked her if she knew how/why that had happened and she said no. She knew right away what my problem was and the fix so she must of been familiar with the problem. Anyone here know how/why that happened? Is this a known problem with the American model bolt or is it an oddity? Thanks

9x19

Hunter
That's a new one for me. I haven't had, or heard of anyone else who's had that issue.

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I had this same problem again this morning. I called Ruger and they said to send it back to the mother ship. Two times to the range and 2 times it failed. I hope they figure it out and ship it back soon.

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I guess this is a rare problem with this rifle.
My rifle made the trip to the repair center. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I got my rifle back and I have not had time to go to the range. On the ticket that Ruger sent back it said "replaced firing pin stop and shroud". Also "after repair, firearm was function fired 10 rounds of Hornady ammo without malfunction". Hopefully the problem is fixed and will not happen again. I will reply again after a range visit.