Ruger no.1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loiblb

Single-Sixer
I have a Ruger no.1 in .243, tange safety, varmint , orange pad. I have shot it a few times in the 14 years I have had it. It's tad heavy
Wood is fancy figured to say the least.
I would like to know a little about these.
Thanks

They're no good. I'll take it off your hands for $300.
But seriously, the .243 was "the most balanced cartridge" before anybody heard of the 6.5 Creedmoor. The .243, 6MM Remington, the .257 Roberts (my favorite) are just great dual purpose chamberings and a joy to shoot. I don't have a No. 1 in Varmint configuration but I want one. You ain't gonna take it mountain goat hunting, but we don't have many of those in The Great State. Other folks here can tell you when it was made, etc., but I'll tell you to hang on to it. It's even more fun if you load your own.

RSIno1

Hunter
rowdy1972 said:
Kind of a uncommon No1 being a V barreled 243,werent a lot of those manufactured.
That means I could go $500 for it.
I like the red pad guns. They seem to generally have nicer wood. Rare calibers can bring big money. The 1V isn't really a good one to lug around on a hunt.

Yep. I'm with Buckeye. Unless you're a strappin' youth it's a load. But that's not what it's made for.
God and the folks at Texas Parks & Wildlife got together and gave us the ingenuity and legality to have a 55 gallon drum sitting/hanging 6' above the ground with an electric motor programmed to dispense breakfast/lunch/dinner at your convenience while we sit 100 yards away in a comfortable box stand wearing our scent adsorbing camouflage clothes. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ESPECIALLY if your killing feral hogs.
Now, if you want to work up, say, a 65 grain varmint load and go sit on a prairie dog town for a day, well, that wouldn't be a bad thing either. But that's just my opinion.
Neither of these options makes the weight a significant factor. In fact, the laws of physics work in your favor.
And keep in mind that a lot of heroes walked across Europe carrying a 9 ½ pound M1.
Okay. I'm up To $600.

loiblb

Single-Sixer
This rifle is No. 132-77xxx
This is the only No.1 I have owned but the wood to metal fit is as good as I have seen in a factory rifle.

My single shot 1885 Browning in 223 is almost as good but have had punched thru primers on it so it's retired for now.

MZ5

Bearcat
The No.1 has a very strong and extremely safe action, and to most all of us who own them it is an elegant to beautiful rifle. I find my No.1V too heavy. I bought it because it's a 6.5-284 and I wanted that chambering. It was my first No.1. I like my No.1B better for hunting big game. I only have those two.

As a group, No.1 rifles don't shoot _quite_ as well as good shooting bolt guns, but like them all there are better and worse individual examples. The rifles are plenty good for hunting, so if you like your rifle hang on to it!