Scout Rifle question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kentdep

Single-Sixer
I like my Scout a lot but one thing I don't care for is the muzzle break. How can I get that thing off? I want to just run the thread protector.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

rangerbob

Buckeye
I'd use the appropriate size wrench and unscrew it. it's right hand threads. Bob! :D

It's a legitimate question and not always as easy as some folks might suggest. These muzzle devices are the tightest I've ever encountered. You could use an appropriate strap wrench or barrel vise for a non damaging hold back on the barrel, and if necessary, apply some heat to the muzzle device to expand it and soften whatever threadlocker is used. On my first scout rifle, I postponed removal of the muzzle device for a later date, as it was so resistant, and I never did go back and try again.

Chief 101

Hunter
I used a heat gun and brass rod, it came of easy. There was some threadlocker on it. A wrench or pliers would work better I think.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Wayno, some really hard oak barrel blocks cut to fit the barrel, some tape on the barrel, and a good vise. The right size wrench and a cheater pipe might be in order. Heating the flash hider would probably help, as well. Bob! BTW, I have not tried to remove the one on my Scout, so I don't know how hard it is to remove. I think Ruger uses a #55 Torx bit that fits inside the flash hider and an impact wrench to install, might be the best way to remove. Bob! :wink:

kentdep

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies guys!

That break is on crazy tight. Granted you don't want it coming off but I tried using a proper wrench on it and it would not budge. I thought about hitting it with a torch to see if that would help too but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Jay

mjh

Single-Sixer
I used some quality rubber vice pads, the vice and a correct size wrench, supported the stock well. Was not too difficult, while the break was more than hand tight I didn't think it was so tight as others have experienced.