Any Lipsey’s Ruger African 9.3x62 range reports?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I would not expect great accuracy from such a skinny barrel, but I would at least like to hear an informative report. I held off on buying one due to a lack of funds and wanting to hear if they shoot or not. So, what's the verdict? MOA is not necessary for me with such a rifle, but I would like to be able to place a bullet in the clock works out to 250 yards or so.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
Use IMR 4064 powder, Hornady 286 grn bullets. 250 grn Accubonds , Imr 4350 powder. Prvi Partizan ammo shoots well. All of these combinations shot under 1 MOA. Speer 270 grn did not do as well. IMR 4064 seemed to be the best overall powder for me.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
Rifle used, 9.3x62 African purchased April 2011. The Lipsey version is pretty much a clone of this gun.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
PAShooter said:
The Lipsey version is pretty much a clone of this gun.

My impression is that the barrel is a bit thinner, overall, and an inch longer. I don't know this for a fact, however. Does anyone know if there is a real difference in the barrel contours of the two models. Thanks for the load advice, fellas. I'll try those loads in my Mauser as well. :D

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Since no one commented on this, I tried posting the same on a couple other forums with few results. I did learn that the barrel of this run, as I suspected, is considerably thinner than that of the the run from several years ago. I'm still looking for performance appraisals / range reports on this particular rifle. I am aware that the 9.3x62 is generally a good and accurate round. I am particularly interested in the LIMITED LIPSEY's HAWKEY AFRICAN 9.3x62 FROM 2019. Thanks!

eastbank

Single-Sixer
thin barrels can be very accuret, I have a kimer 84L in 3006 the comes in scoped at 6.4 lbs and my deer load shoots less than MOA for three shots from the bench, but after 5-6 shots it opens up to 1-1.5" at 100 yards. that's with a 165 gr bullets at 2700 fps with imr 4350. if you don,t over heat the barrel by rapid fireing a lot of rounds I think you will be ok, the 9.3x62 was not ment to be a target round. I used a MS in 9.3x62 in Africa to take a cape buffalo with no trouble.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
71shooter said:
PAShooter said:
The Lipsey version is pretty much a clone of this gun.

My impression is that the barrel is a bit thinner, overall, and an inch longer. I don't know this for a fact, however. Does anyone know if there is a real difference in the barrel contours of the two models. Thanks for the load advice, fellas. I'll try those loads in my Mauser as well. :D

I just bought one of the Lipsey's African. The barrel is much thinner, and not a clone of the previous run. The end of the box has 24" "A" stamped on it which I take to mean that the barrel is the same contour as the 24" Ruger No. 1-A. 0.560" at the muzzle, and very thin, overall, compared to the previous run. I read at least one report of this gun weighing just under 7lbs. Mine weighs 7lbs 10oz, thank goodness! I'll give a range report when I can get a Saturday off with nice weather. Might be a while...

"I would like to be able to place a bullet in the clock works out to 250 yards or so."

I'm sure someone will contradict me but IMHO, 250 yards is a stretch for this cartridge on the game it was originally intended to handle.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I have one of the early one's serial no. 711-379xx
It has the Circassion walnut stock with no black forend. Bluing is pretty shiny. The barrel is a measured 23 inches using the cleaning rod technique and .665 in front of the front sight.
I haven't been able to shoot for over 18 months because of a back injury and follow up surgeries.

Hopefully I'll get it out in the next month. I had a similar one in black walnut that was of the same era that did about 1.5 inches or better with a couple different factory loads just doing sight in.

What is the barrel length and diameter of the newer ones?
Bfly

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
http://imgur.com/a/EZeBI4p
I sighted my 9.3x62 in today. First day of shooting in over 18 months. At the end I shot one three shot group. Light wind, good light and. I was shooting well. Some days my big goal is to just keep hitting the birm. Today I was shooting good.
Three shots, 100 yards from the bench.
I would say this one is pretty accurate.
I use Reloader 15 in my Whelens and then tried it in my previous 9.3, so I just loaded up a box.
I guess even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.
Bfly

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I had the rifle to the range again the other week. I shot 5 four shot groups at 100 yards. All groups were under an inch across. So this is not a single lucky group. Both trips have been on warm summer days. If I have a couple more boxes of this load perform like this at some different temperatures, I'll consider it a good load.
Bfly