American 7.62x39 with AR mags???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
Is it possible to convert a Ruger American rifle in 7.62x39 to use AR magazines? I downloaded the instruction manual and see the magazine well and release is a separate assembly. Would it be as simple as swapping the magazine well for one of the .223 models that takes AR mags? My thinking is that both .223 and 7.62x39 magazines will both work in the same AR-15 lower. If this is possible, what specific parts would I need to order and would Ruger sell them to me?

rangerbob

Buckeye
My question would be, why bother. The ranch rifle in 7.62x39 already uses the readily available and reliable Mini-30 5,10, and 20 round magazines. Dedicated 7.62x39 AR magazines are not the cheapest out there. If one needs more firepower that a bolt action 20 shot repeater can deliver, I suggest a battle proven AK-47 variant with a 75 round drum. Bob! :wink:

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
Bob...

* I have an AR chambered in 7.62x39 and therefore already have magazines for it.
* The last I checked, AR 7.62x39 mags are MUCH cheaper than Mini-30 mags.
* Maximum round count is not the purpose of this exercise.
* I also want the cool factor... At least for me. 8)

Tom

rangerbob

Buckeye
BB Rvlr, all of those reasons, of course, make perfect sense. I already had a Mini-30 and a bunch of magazines when I acquired my Ranch rifle in 7.62x39. AND the cool factor can not be overlooked. Enjoy your project!! Bob! :mrgreen:

wanderson

Bearcat
If it can be done, let us know.
I'm in the same boat, I have an AR in 7.62x39 and a RAR in .300bo (AR mag version) and would pick up another in 7.62x39 if it could be converted.

I also have a Mini and most of my mags are factory Ruger @ $30-$40 a pop, the only cheap mag that works reliably for me are the gen 2 Tapcos. Compared to my 7.62x39 CPD mags @ $15-$20 a pop I'd say AR mags are way cheaper.

Edit: Just read the comments, apparently Ruger doesn't sell just the magwell as a part. Thanks, Ruger.

blammer

Single-Sixer
BB Rvlr: Thanks for the youtube link. Guy on video showed he did it, but had to beg customer service (not parts folks) and take all liability (wonder if that means no warranty work?). He did show and mention a little wiggle in the AR Mag, but apparently had no effect on function. If Ruger offered the AR mag well as a part, I'd probably buy it as a spare just in case. But my 2 Mini-30 mags are fine for now.