Gunsite Scout, .308, Stainless/Synthetic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just bought my second Gunsite Scout rifle.

At the range yesterday, 1" groups were easy, without any fiddling or experimentation. What was really a surprise, was the very pleasant recoil. Apparently the muzzle brake is quite effective. i still plan on removing the brake and replacing it with only a thread protector.

I removed the scout scope base, and installed a 3x9 Compact Leupold in the conventional scope location. For whatever reason, this scope has less eye relief than I'd like, so I tried a conventionally sized 4.5x14 Leupold, which is longer, and provides a more optimum eye relief. More scope than necessary for such a rifle, so later, more scope experimentation will still be in the works. In the meantime I'm quite pleased with this little rifle. 8)

https://www.ruger.com/products/scoutRifle/specSheets/6829.html

I was there!! I think this is the most accurate.308 chambered factory bolt action rifle I have ever shot. No real recoil. I think Ruger has a real winner with this platform! The groups were accomplished without any kind of premium factory ammo or precision hand loads. I am impressed!

Dave

mike4570

Bearcat
I think one of the reasons for the accuracy of the Ruger Scouts is due to the stout, short barrel. Mine seems to shoot everything well,from premium match ammo to steel cased Wolf.

sd550

Bearcat
I think another reason is there are only two action screws, eliminating that middle screw that always seems to throw everything off.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I had to change to a linear-type compensator. Seems my local range has all-but banished the rifles with side-exhaust brakes to the ends of the range, and not at all allowed when the range is full.

Yes, I use a Burris Scout scope and it works fast & great. 2" or less with light-recoiling ammo, and I am not a great shot. If I ever modify this rifle it will be only to add a Timney trigger. It has become a favorite go-to rifle for deer and bigger game.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Some things I've found on my SS Hawkeyes with the synthetic stocks. Every one of them I have the main screw torqued to 90 inch pounds, absolutely no free float with an even cradling. Each one of them in any caliber will drill one hole and you can shoot until the barrel is real hot and none of them string shots.

I think the stock and torque are the key

I was looking at the scout and specifically the synthetic but instead I dropped a 308 compact into a Hawkeye synthetic stock instead of the little laminate and man its a handy rifle to be reckoned with.

I wish I had Ruger's ear on a few configurations

First would be an 18" Hawkeye SS/Syn with a muzzle break like the Guide gun

Second would be a Ruger 1 exactly like the 450 BM EXCEPT IN 444 Marlin (A Dream)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I like the reduced-recoil Hornady loads for factory stuff. "Shoot longer, shoot better". 8)

Now if Remington could produce a model Seven-based Scout rifle, who knows what could appear in January?

Okay...Seems a simple enough thing, but it took a little experimentation on thread protectors.

The original muzzle brake. It's effective at reducing recoil, but it's somewhat ungainly on a hunting rifle.

Attempt #1
.75" OD x .75" L
Diameter is perfect, but it's a little long. And the thin wall makes for a fairly sharp edge past the muzzle. I think you could use it for a hole punch. :shock:

Attempt #2
.92" 0D x .63" L
Diameter is somewhat large for the barrel, but the length is perfect.

Attempt #3
.86" OD x .63" L
Diameter still slightly large, but better. Length is perfect...The best compromise. :mrgreen: