Ruger No1B in 6.5X284 Winchester

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Just picked one like new minus the box, but topped with a Burris 4.5 to 14X AO scope, for $900.00. An OK price? The 6.5X284 Winchester I think puts me in to triple digits for reloading, but I know pretty much zero about the cartridge.

I presume cases and dies for the Winchester and Norma, Norma Match are the same? The Ruger has a 1 in 8" rate of twist, will this take bullets up to 140 grains? 4831SC looks like a good powder, although I'm not finding a whole lot of reload data. The Hodgden on line site doesn't show anything, nor does the Reloader magazine on line database.

I have some Winchester 284 cases, leftovers from a Winchester 88 that I have lots of ammo already loaded for. Simple to neck down and use in the No1 I assume.

rangerbob

Buckeye
The new Sierra #6 manual has 6 pages of reloading data with the newer IMR and Alliant powders, as do the older Hodgden manuals. 6.5x284 brass is readily available without having to neck down 284's. Check MidwayUSA or Graf's, they have all of it. BTW, Sierra recommends RL 17 as the hunting load with 140 gr. bullets. Bob! :D

dfletcher

Blackhawk
^
Thanks. All the "on line" checking and I didn't think to check my books. The Sierra #5 has a fair amount of loads too. I guess I should bite the bullet and buy #6. Seems to have added quite a bit, and not just on this cartridge.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
Had a new 1V in 6.5x284 pass through the shop about 5 years ago. I doubt the guy will ever shoot it.

rangerbob

Buckeye
The Sierra #6 has loads for most of the Ackley Improved cartridges, a lot of old ones, and every thing new except the 300 PRC. Bob! :mrgreen: