77/357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jjas

Single-Sixer
GAO LLC said:
Current wholesale is $692. How much should we sell them for?

I assumed the cost for dealers was high, but not that high. It doesn't leave a lot of "wiggle" room on retail pricing.

Regardless, I figured the 77/44 and 77/357 would both be discontinued by now and the American line would offer a .357, and a .44 in it's place.

Guess not...

chet15

Hawkeye
jjas said:
GAO LLC said:
Current wholesale is $692. How much should we sell them for?

I assumed the cost for dealers was high, but not that high. It doesn't leave a lot of "wiggle" room on retail pricing.

Regardless, I figured the 77/44 and 77/357 would both be discontinued by now and the American line would offer a .357, and a .44 in it's place.

Guess not...

Well, cheap is good. But there are still enough of us out there who like traditional.
Chet15

jjas

Single-Sixer
chet
Well, cheap is good. But there are still enough of us out there who like traditional.
Chet15

I'm sure there are (and I count myself among them), but if it weren't for "cheap", most gun companies would struggle to stay in business...

langenc

Single-Sixer
I bought a 77/44 just 3 yrs ago. Id have to check the file to see what I paid. Im sure it was $700+. Just after that they were discontinued but brought back w/in less than a year. Good gun for my deer situation-100 yards or less.

In edumacating my Son and his friends I use the example the Browning Auto 5 and the Benelli M2/Browning A5. The Auto 5 is machined out of a billet of steel and has a very complicated system of parts. The Benelli/A5 uses an aluminum receiver and is simplicity itself. It's apples and oranges, and you get what you want to pay for. Strangely enough, I've routinely found Auto 5s cheaper than a big box A5 or M2. But I use my M2 for dove hunting. Stainless Steel ain't easy to machine. Which one will be functional in 80 years? I have my Father's first shotgun, probably 1930. And his circa 1962 Marlin 39A drives tacks with a peep sight (and younger eyes). You can get cheaper today, but better is always going to be more expensive. In the end you decide what it's worth.