PC Carbine in .357 SIG, Any takers ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
How about a PC Carbine in .357 SIG. :roll:

That's something I would like to see, If anyone starts making aftermarket barrels for the PC, This would be an interesting chambering.

I have a Glock 31C in .357 SIG, Bit pricy to shoot but it gets down range in a hurry.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
When the 10mm version comes out, I'll buy one. Or some nice magnum caliber, like .357, .41, or .44. Other than that, I'll use a pistol. :)

grobin

Blackhawk
No interest! It's a basted DOT perversion with no real use. 45ACP, 44mag, 10mm, any of the rimmed cartridges:41 mag, 480 ruger, 460 S&W ... would be good.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Federal Air Marshals once used this as their standard weapon. They have abandoned it. I think the cartridge is essentially dead.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Since the 357 Sig is dead, I guess I'll have to bury the 2000 new RP brass I have so that I won't have to load them. I guess I'll keep my 3 P226's and just shoot them anyway. I do agree that the 357 Sig would more or less be wasted in a carbine, unless it was carried by an officer armed with a 357 Sig handgun and the carbine used the same magazines. Bob!! :D

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
Glock is discontinuing the .357 SIG models? Noooooo !

I heard rumors as far back as 2013 or '14 that Sig was dropping it as well. But Sig still lists 4 models and even makes an 1911 chambered in the .357 Sig, and Glock lists 6 versions, I guess we will see in 2020. I might have to pick up a Gen4. I bought my G31c the year my daughter was born, somehow that was 20 years ago. Still shoots great. I guess mine would be considered a Gen1

.357 Sig may not be popular as some others, but would be an easy conversion, From .40 S&W to the .357 SIG. Should just a barrel swap in the Glock. Its a fast, flat shooting round.

I would be shocked to see Ruger chambered a PC C in any rimmed cartridges, 10mm or .45ACP maybe but doubtful. But now days you never know

I'm waiting for the .40 in the American Flag Camo version myself

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
RugerForMe said:
Glock is discontinuing the .357 SIG models? Noooooo !

I heard rumors as far back as 2013 or '14 that Sig was dropping it as well. But Sig still lists 4 models and even makes an 1911 chambered in the .357 Sig, and Glock lists 6 versions, I guess we will see in 2020. I might have to pick up a Gen4. I bought my G31c the year my daughter was born, somehow that was 20 years ago. Still shoots great. I guess mine would be considered a Gen1

.357 Sig may not be popular as some others, but would be an easy conversion, From .40 S&W to the .357 SIG. Should just a barrel swap in the Glock. Its a fast, flat shooting round.

I would be shocked to see Ruger chambered a PC C in any rimmed cartridges, 10mm or .45ACP maybe but doubtful. But now days you never know

I'm waiting for the .40 in the American Flag Camo version myself

I have a 35 (long slide) Glock 40 S&W, I dropped a .357 Sig barrel in it, I lovr it.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I have a Glock M40 6" 10mm. A lone wolf 357 sig 6" barrel fit and functions perfectly. A 6" 357 Sig thinks it's a S&W 357 magnum, just like the 6" 10mm thinks it's a 41 magnum. Also, in the G40, one can load longer overall length 357 Sigs with 124 RN bullets that would not fit in regular 357 Sig magazine. BTW, I carried a P226 in 357 Sig as a duty weapon the last 8 years of my LE career. Naturally, it was loaded with WW Ranger talon ammo.Bob! 8)

wanderson

Bearcat
As a g32 owner, I'd like to see that too.
I like my little .357sig pistol, when .40 started to wind down it took a lot of .357sig fans with it.
I mounted my G32 in a Roni STAB brace, awesome performance from a very small & light setup.

I also have a TNW ASR carbine in 10mm, I need to break down and order that .357sig barrel. Thats all that's needed to switch it over to run .357sig thru 10mm mags, although I can also replace the lower with one for the small frame mags and use my G32 mags as well.

sadly, even Sig isn't doing much to support this cartridge. When I bought a P320 a few years ago I was disappointed that there wasn't a full size p320 chambered in .357. And a 365/.357 seems like a hot setup.

grobin

Blackhawk
The 357 SIG is unfortunate in that it was proposed by the sky marshals to replace the 9mm. Their concern was a lack of penetration by the 9mm against a vest. Unfortunately they were using Glaser (CorBon) saftey ammo so as to not penetrate the plane! The 357 SIG does a bit better than the 357 against a vest. Feeding is better than a straight wall as well. A number of LEO adopted it before the.40 came out. Almost everyone has gone back to 9mm. Limited availability of guns has doomed it however. Had it had ballistics similar/superior to the 44mag it might have survived (like the 10mm-becoming popular as a hog gun that would be a very good competition/hunting round).

Not horrid but unless there is a revival, similar to the 10mm, I see it as dead.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
grobin said:
The 357 SIG does a bit better than the 357 against a vest. Feeding is better than a straight wall as well. A number of LEO adopted it before the.40 came out.

Really? How was it adopted before the .40 came out when the 357 is made by necking down the .40?

wanderson

Bearcat
I was told .357 was a necked down 10mm case. Since the .40 is just a shortened 10mm I guess it doesn't matter, chicken or the egg.

I just liked the concept of a bottlenecked cartridge, kind of a domestic 7.62x25 cartridge.

Of course, there's a lot of 'dead' calibers that are still available online in multiple flavors.

tinman

Buckeye
357 Sig, no thanks.......too hard to find ammo and too expensive when ya do.
But I will take one in 10mm...........

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Funny both my 357Sig pistols worked just fine today at the range. The ammo fired and everything. For a dead round it sure works well for me.

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
There are some good deals on 10 mm ammo this weekend.

But typically .357 Sig and 10mm ammo cost about the same, I shoot both. The last time I bought ammo they were $0.02 a round different, and I actually got the Sig ammo cheaper because the shipping was less from where I bought it.

grobin

Blackhawk
Well l've been wrong before. But like the 40 folks are not pushing it, at least around here. In a lot of ways too bad! But In a crowded market it is not positioned well! It doesn't do enough that established cartridges dont! If it survives it will be as a niche but unlike the 41 mag it's not that good for hunting. What's it's niche?I

Unlike the 40, where there are a lot of pistols out there and a bunch of manufacturers are still chambering it, there isn't much interest in the 357 SIG.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Although the .357 Sig is probably near dead, it does have a "cool" factor being a short bottle-neck pistol round.

wanderson

Bearcat
Well I certainly won't argue that 10mm is probably the smarter choice today over .357sig, I shoot way more of that.
But as a sister cartridge to .40 it was available in some really good compact handguns. More than 10mm anyways. Take Glock, they use their medium frames for .40 & .357 but the large frame for 10mm. I was told the large frame was specifically designed to run the near nuclear 10mm loads, which is why it's my only 10mm handgun. But with a conversion barrel you can run .357sig in a Shield .40.

Not sure we'll ever see a package as small as a .40 Shield chambered in 10mm mass produced.

Latest posts