New Ruger AR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
Colors too busy! Looks like a badly conceived toy. 5.56 is a failure despite it's popularity.

grobin

Blackhawk
Not really. It's a lousy hunting cartridve. It was intended to be a military cartridge but isn't that good. The REMF who thought it up justified it by the wounded falicy. But the reality is that a lot of people that doesn't work on: Samolians, al queida, boko haram, just leave the wounded to get out on their own or for later. (In some cases they add protein to the diet.). For urban and home defense it over penitrates while being ineffectual on body armor. Failure, doesn't fulfill the design goals-well US CYA!

gunzo

Hunter
Cartridges don't kill critters, bullets do. Loaded with a proper bullet, the 5.56 is a wonderful hunting cartridge in it's class.

Most any centerfire rifle could be a poor choice four urban/home defense. But given the proper bullet, the 5.56 can be the preferred choice if a rifle is used.

Most modern body armor is the popular Class III, which is rated to fend off penetration from a 147 grain 30 caliber bullet traveling at 2760 FPS. This implies that many cartridges are ineffectual on body armor.

So, Ruger has an AR with a new finish, some will buy it. I'll bet that's Rugers goal. Otherwise, the chambering is still just fine IMO. 8)

grobin

Blackhawk
Not happy with being fed a load of BS! The most popular 5.56, 223 bullet today is by far the FMJ. According to several NGMOs who had experience it takes 3 shots to take down an unarmored Somali, not real effectial. Unless you have 844 bullets good luck with type III. According to surveys of police reports a shout or warning shot stops ~1/2 the BG. Very likely more as why get LEO involved if not necessary?

What makes you think that type III body armor is that common? Lots of folks use type II with supplemental plates.

gunzo

Hunter
I gave you facts on 3 of your 4 criteria. Sorry your not happy with 3 out of 4. But "facts" not BS.

No. 4... Trailing off to Somali's does NOT address the cartridge, only the Hague Convention, which renders nearly any cartridge fired from a hand held weapon "Ineffective" against a total annihilation of the enemy.

Type II with supplemental plates??
What are we supplementing? What does that mean? Seriously, what do supplemental plates mean? If you "supplement" something do you not upgrade it? Add to it? Upgrading Class II body armor with "supplemental" plates upgrades it to what? 2 1/2? 2.666?

Arguing with terms like "lots of people" or "supplemental" are not facts, only......... 'ya got me?

What ever you think of the cartridge is only your "opinion". Thousands, if not tens of thousands of users "prove" it's worth.

"Lots of people" approve of this message. :mrgreen: But the fact remains, the paint on the AR might sell a few copies, & is probably Rugers goal. "Our" opinion of the cartridge it shoots is irrelevant.

grobin

Blackhawk
Lots of type II vests have plate carrier pockets. They will hold additional arimid, ceramic, steel or titanium plates equivalent to type IV. Even with holding plates it's lighter and more comfortable than type III. Not as good protection as no gorget or back.

The FMJ used by most everyone is due to the Hague convention. Glad you agree it's ineffective! Actually I think you are thinking of the Gneva Convention

gunzo

Hunter
grobin said:
Actually I think you are thinking of the Gneva Convention

No, I wasn't. Thinking Geneva is another misconception, a popular one though.

Outlawing the use of expanding bullets for warfare was outlined in the 1899 Hague Convention. The U.S. did not sign. However, the U.S. did sign the 1907 treaty that included wording from the 1899 limitations for warfare. Look it up.

One last time, for me that is. Whatever we think of the cartridge is irrelevant to Rugers new paint job.

Elvis has left the building. 8)