6.5Grendel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wanderson

Bearcat
I just recently got in to 6.5 Grendel with two ARs and looked close at the RAP in 6.5G but I thought the same, why the larger platform when there's already a Predator in 6.5 Creedmore?

I personally think it was just cheaper to rechamber the 6.5 Creedmore for Grendel than to do it right and use the shorter action Ranch. If they ever do make a Ranch in Grendel I'd get one but I'm having too much fun with my .300bo Ranch to care.

smith1961

Blackhawk
wanderson said:
I just recently got in to 6.5 Grendel with two ARs and looked close at the RAP in 6.5G but I thought the same, why the larger platform when there's already a Predator in 6.5 Creedmore?

I personally think it was just cheaper to rechamber the 6.5 Creedmore for Grendel than to do it right and use the shorter action Ranch. If they ever do make a Ranch in Grendel I'd get one but I'm having too much fun with my .300bo Ranch to care.

That's why the CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel is appealing...............

rangerbob

Buckeye
I looked at the Grendel predator which uses the AR style magazine. I don't think that there is any difference in the short action on the ranch or predator and other than the green stock and 6" more barrel, that's about it. Bob! :D

dgr416

Single-Sixer
Need a mini 14 target 6.5 grendal that would be aweeone .I have a mini 14 target shoots 1 in or less all day long at 100 yards and 200 yards with my loads and a 6x18 power scope !

Don Lovel

Hunter
dgr416 said:
Need a mini 14 target 6.5 grendal that would be aweeone .I have a mini 14 target shoots 1 in or less all day long at 100 yards and 200 yards with my loads and a 6x18 power scope !

Mini with adjustable gas block in 6.5 Grendel would be sweet, I love my 18" Heavy fluted AR upper I built. It does good at 600yds even with wolf steel ammo and really hits targets with a lot of energy.
wish I had a reliable photo host

smith1961

Blackhawk
Don Lovel said:
dgr416 said:

Mini with adjustable gas block in 6.5 Grendel would be sweet, I love my 18" Heavy fluted AR upper I built. It does good at 600yds even with wolf steel ammo and really hits targets with a lot of energy.
wish I had a reliable photo host

Here's the third vote for a Mini 14 in 6.5 Grendel........light years ahead of the 6.8 SPC :twisted:

"6.5 Grendel........light years ahead of the 6.8 SPC"

A matter of opinion and/or usage. I firmly believe the 6.8 is a superior game cartridge and find it much more pleasant to shoot.

rangerbob

Buckeye
The 6.5 Grendel, in an AR platform, makes a formidable combat arm, easily replicating the 100 year old ballistics of the battle proven rounds such as the 6.5 Jap, Carcano, Greek, etc. It is not a 6.5 x 55. The 6.8 SPC could be a better hunting round, as it is a shortened 270. I would not like to be shot by either. Please note that all of those battle proven rounds were on the losing side, no match for either the 30M1 or the 7.92 x 57. My 2 cents worth. Bob! :wink:

smith1961

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
"6.5 Grendel........light years ahead of the 6.8 SPC"

A matter of opinion and/or usage. I firmly believe the 6.8 is a superior game cartridge and find it much more pleasant to shoot.

http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-vs-6-8-spc-a-different-perspective/

Nothing wrong with 6.8 SPC, however, there's a reason at the military trials the Remington camp packed up and the Alexander Arms folks kept shooting "all those years ago". Couple that with the fact that Howa, CZ and others are factory chambering 20, 24 and even 26" barreled bolt guns, and one could objectively conclude the 6.8 SPC is not "superior" in any fashion to 6.5 Grendel. Runnin and gunning AR's, Hunting, or long range target games, seems 6.5 has an edge. But who really cares? shoot whatever you like :wink:

When shooting both cartridges in similar type(16" barrel length) AR's, the 6.8 is the better choice for moderate range hunting use. I shoot both open and muffled and the 6.8 comes out the winner at the ranges I normally find either cartridge suitable. The Grendel doesn't show any real advantage until the range is beyond what most folks would consider "ethical hunting distances".
When fired, the Grendel is noticeably more "violent" in both recoil and muzzle blast than the 6.8. This alone makes the 6.8 both easier to shoot(especially for kids) and easier to suppress(neither is effectively suppressed but the 6.8 is somewhat quieter). I give zero credit to "marketing" which is the major impetus to the "rise of the Grendel" in the sales department.
IMHO: If you want a cartridge to play with and shoot at long range on static targets, the Grendel is an option(at that point in a bolt action you may as well go to the Creedmore or 7mm08 and have a REAL gun). If you want a light recoiling, easy to shoot, moderate range game cartridge for use in the 250 yard limit, the 6.8 is a step up from something like a 243 with significantly less recoil than the 6.5 Creedmore/260 Rem/7mm08 class.

smith1961

Blackhawk
OK Cool,

So for hunting with AR-type, 16" guns, the 6.8 SPC is less noisy and hard on the shoulder. Oh and at "Ethical Hunting range". Hard to argue with that narrow focused context. Guess you win :cry:

jkingrph

Bearcat
I have never seen a 6.8 SPC, but have 3 AR 15 types and a CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel. Recoil is extremely mild, all my other centerfires are larger more powerful, so recoil is greater and muzzle blast greater than the 6.5 Grendel. I don't know what the parent case is on the 6.8 but you can make brass for the Grendel by resizing and fireforming 7.62x39 brass easily. I did that with a quantity of excellent IMI(Israelie Military Industries) brass when factory Grendel brass was hard to find and very expensive. Never tried it on any game, but if performance shadows the Swedish 6.5x55 it should be very, very good.

"but you can make brass for the Grendel by resizing and fireforming 7.62x39 brass easily. "

According to a friend of mine who's heavily into the 6.5 G, this is not the case. "Some" 7.62 brass may work OK but some has large rifle primers. There's no shortage of brass at this time so a moot point.

The 6.8 has a longer "point blank range" (hold on the kill zone) using hunting type bullets in the 90-110 grain weight than the 6.5G has with the most common 123 grain hunting loads. The 6.5's claim to fame is based on longer, slower, higher BC bullets used on paper targets at known distances.

jkingrph

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
"but you can make brass for the Grendel by resizing and fireforming 7.62x39 brass easily. "

According to a friend of mine who's heavily into the 6.5 G, this is not the case. "Some" 7.62 brass may work OK but some has large rifle primers. There's no shortage of brass at this time so a moot point.

Technically correct. When I started with the Grendel about ten years ago, loaded ammo and brass was extremely hard to find and very expensive. My solution was to get a supply of 7.62x39 brass, resize and fireform. It does not give a true spec Grendel case because it uses a large rifle vs a small rifle primer. Other than that the unfireformed cases functioned through my AR15 Grendel giving surprisingly good accuracy, although the point of impact is quite a bit lower than a full power Grendel load. I just looked at some of the factory 6.5Grendel ammo in my stock, and the Wolf brand uses large rifle primes, Hornady uses small rifle which I think is SAMI correct. For most shooting purposes I think either is fine. My understanding was the early parent cartridge, the .220 Russian, a target/varmint cartridge used small rifle primers, which should be better for accuracy loads. The .220 Russian was developed as I understand from the 7.62x39 case but with a small rifle primer, so the head diameter is the same so it works with a 7.62x39 bolt face size. Bottom line is that cases are functionally identical.