American Predator .308 Long Range Shooting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doc540

Single-Sixer
Just purchased a .308 Predator.

Working up loads for 600yds ACCURACY.

What are your best recipes for accuracy?

gunzo

Hunter
Accurate shooter.com has a .308 section. There are a lot of loads listed. One article by a champion shooter steered me to the easy button.

Varget, 175 Sierra MK. Lapua brass & a match primer. Worked well for me, YMMV.

doc540

Single-Sixer
gunzo said:
Accurate shooter.com has a .308 section. There are a lot of loads listed. One article by a champion shooter steered me to the easy button.

Varget, 175 Sierra MK. Lapua brass & a match primer. Worked well for me, YMMV.

Thanks

Do you have a link specific to the Ruger American Predator in .308?

I tried searching and wasn't able to find it.

gunzo

Hunter
^ No sir, just 308 loads in general & thoughts of accurate 308 loads from an F-TR national champion shooter.

Nothing specific for an American Predator.

doc540

Single-Sixer
gunzo said:
^ No sir, just 308 loads in general & thoughts of accurate 308 loads from an F-TR national champion shooter.

Thanks

I was hoping to connect with others that have shot this particular .308 rifle with its 18" barrel in 1/10 twist.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
doc540 said:
gunzo said:

Thanks

I was hoping to connect with others that have shot this particular .308 rifle with its 18" barrel in 1/10 twist.

It's a pretty new version.
I have an American 308 that I cut down to 18.5". It loves the 168 Nos. Bal. Tip with 45 gr. of Varget CCIBR primers & Win brass.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Good 308 loads....Should be something here.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2255435/1

gunzo

Hunter
Good shooting.
Excuse my ignorance, but what do all the numbers 3, & a 4 mean.
And.. what are the dimensions of the target.

Nice range, enjoy!

doc540

Single-Sixer
gunzo said:
Good shooting.
Excuse my ignorance, but what do all the numbers 3, & a 4 mean.
And.. what are the dimensions of the target.

Nice range, enjoy!

Thanks!

When shooting different loads and 5 shot strings, I label the string numbers.

For instance, this morning I shot string #1, covered the holes with orange dots, then made a few clicks of adjustment and shot string #2, then covered and labeled them.

The uncovered/black marked holes are the very first shots of the morning, getting ready to test.

Orange area of the target is 10" vertical x 7" horizontal.

Working on consistency now.

That high, right, #2 shot was a flier that I called as soon as the trigger broke. :oops:

Who would've thought a $400 rifle with an 18" barrel would easily shoot 6MOA at 600yds? :shock:

gunzo

Hunter
Doc, I understand the numbers now, thanks. The #2 string is starting to show some real potential. You're getting vertical stringing for which there are several reasons, but in your case in might be bipod bounce. If there was a 2x4 or such clamped to the front of the bench just in front of the bipod feet to allow you press/load the feet against it, it might solve the stringing. Oh, and make sure your stock screws are tight.
You seem to have a good handle on reading the wind or there isn't any. The width of that group is 1/2 moa, your rifle is wanting to get it done. 8)
I know I've offered stuff that wasn't ask for but at least is was free. And FWIW, you've got a 32 power scope, in that case a 3" orange dot, maybe a 2" on a white or tan background would help me considerably over that 7x10.
Aim small hit small.
Enjoy !!

doc540

Single-Sixer
gunzo said:
Doc, I understand the numbers now, thanks. The #2 string is starting to show some real potential. You're getting vertical stringing for which there are several reasons, but in your case in might be bipod bounce. If there was a 2x4 or such clamped to the front of the bench just in front of the bipod feet to allow you press/load the feet against it, it might solve the stringing. Oh, and make sure your stock screws are tight.
You seem to have a good handle on reading the wind or there isn't any. The width of that group is 1/2 moa, your rifle is wanting to get it done. 8)
I know I've offered stuff that wasn't ask for but at least is was free. And FWIW, you've got a 32 power scope, in that case a 3" orange dot, maybe a 2" on a white or tan background would help me considerably over that 7x10.
Aim small hit small.
Enjoy !!

Much appreciated.

I'm off the bipod now and on a simple front rest that doesn't clamp tightly.

Guessing that the rifle will shoot sub MOA, but my limited skills are making the biggest difference.

First time to shoot past 200 yds was about three weeks ago.

Intention isn't precision target shooting, but finding what the rifle likes best and having some fun with it.

Started with the original stock and some factory ammo, but only reloads now.

doc540

Single-Sixer
The MOA dot in the Mueller 8-32x44 scope fits the orange target x ring to a "T".

But once I get the best load worked up, I'll try some other targets.

Adjusting OAL now within the confines of magazine specs.

doc540

Single-Sixer
155gr Sierra TMK's

In Lake City Brass - 2.846 OAL

Load testing now using A-2495 because I have some. :)

When I was shooting HP national match. I had the M-14s, over the years 2 different rifles. The best loads were 168gr SMK for 200 and 300 yds. Than 175gr SMK for 600 yds. Back than powder was IMR stuff, NM cases, Federal match primers. The heavier bullet was better because you had to shoot a match in whatever conditions were present that day, be it wind/rain sun/clouds. As I recall we followed the US Army marksmanship unit loadings. I tested loads in prone with a sling. I have long forgot the X ring size, but it is maybe 2x2ft. on the 600 yd target. None of that may mean anything in a 18 inch barrel, just adding what HP shooters did.

doc540

Single-Sixer
kmoore said:
When I was shooting HP national match. I had the M-14s, over the years 2 different rifles. The best loads were 168gr SMK for 200 and 300 yds. Than 175gr SMK for 600 yds. Back than powder was IMR stuff, NM cases, Federal match primers. The heavier bullet was better because you had to shoot a match in whatever conditions were present that day, be it wind/rain sun/clouds. As I recall we followed the US Army marksmanship unit loadings. I tested loads in prone with a sling. I have long forgot the X ring size, but it is maybe 2x2ft. on the 600 yd target. None of that may mean anything in a 18 inch barrel, just adding what HP shooters did.

Thanks for posting that information.

Not ironically, 168gr SMK's shoot sub MOA in this budget rifle. 43.7gr of A-2496 with an OAL of 2.860.

Everything about this rifle is turning out to be a surprise.