M77 bolt won’t go in my gun!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
So I'm having a problem here and this is not my first bolt gun or first Ruger but this one has me stumped.
I just received a tang safety M77RLS from a member here. The gun was shipped with the bolt out .
The bolt will not go in the gun because the plunger in the rear of the bolt is pushed in and gets caught on the safety. I cannot not turn the handle to get this bolt in. I took another bolt off another 77rls and that plunger is sticking out and the bolt inserts smoothly.

Help! Any suggestions ?

JFB

Hunter
I don't KNOW, but here is my thinking. the bolt cocks on initial raising the bolt to open. Your bolt is in the fired condition.

EDIT....Here is how to recock the bolt. using an allen key and the edge of a table
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmm80Sz5w9w

rangerbob

Buckeye
That would be my conclusion, as well. You'll have to pull the firing pin to the rear and rotate it in the cocked notch. Bob! :D

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
That sleeve that rotates on the bolt is turned to the correct side of the bolt so it will enter the race way..??? Snaps over / picks up cartage (SP) rim..

rangerbob

Buckeye
claypool, that "sleeve" is called the extractor, and you are correct in that it has to be turned to the correct position to enter the raceway of the receiver. Bob!! 8)