Ruger now has 6.5PRC & 300PRC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
Both in the RPR; the 6.5 PRC in the Hawkeye has been out awhile, the RPR are new.
I looked at the 6.5PRC but didn't really like the Hawkeye. I'll take a look at both PRC in the RPR when they are available. I'm not sure that the PRC will gain popularity, particularly if long range turns out to be a fad.

grobin

Blackhawk
I agree but Hornady didn't have anything to do with inventing the Creedmore. The 6.5PRC has obvious advantages in retained energy for long range hunting, but the extra recoil is a big downer for target work.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I had a SS M70 in 7mmWSM rebarreled with a Lothar Walther barrel to 6.5 WSM with a 26" hunting weight barrel. My idea was to build a modern day M70 "Westerner" short action in 6.5 WSM instead of the original 264 WM on the long action. Mach III with 130 bullets was achieved, but we had to resize 270 WSM's and then neck turn them to fit in the very tight chamber and only a few loadings were doable before the primer pockets went south( using new R-P brass). If I were building this today, I'd go with the 6.5 PRC instead. Readily available brass and factory ammo with more or less the same ballistics. I'd also say that the 6.5 PRC is what the 6.5 Remington was meant to be, but in a 24-26" barrel. I have a blued M70 on 7mm WSM that may get the nod on this in the future. Bob! :)

Latest posts