Make room for the new American rifle Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Ruger just released the American rifle Hunter with the MagPul Hunter style stock and heavy barrel in 308 #26993 and 6.5CM #26983. Bob! :D

mac66

Single-Sixer
NH Rugerman said:
$999.00 MSRP....really. I thought the American series was Ruger's budget line...

The stock itself lists for $300.

I'm guessing the street price will be around $700.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
A two month wonder at best. I just looked up the wholesale cost and it is right up there with Savage's excellent 110 Tactical.

I would say it is comparable to my Tikka T3 CTR. Features and price are similar. I would expect this new Ruger to shoot quite well also. This is much more interesting to me than the RPR.

Just my $.02

egl52

Single-Sixer
It may look ugly, but if you've ever held one of the Magpul hunter stocks, you might be more willing to overlook its ugliness. It's a very well thought out design, and quite comfortable. This rifle is obviously meant to compete with the Remington 700 Magpul Enhanced. It's got a few advantages over that rifle, such as a factory muzzle break and a better trigger. I suspect the real-world price will be about $100 cheaper too. I expect they'll sell well enough.

egl52

Single-Sixer
mac66 said:
NH Rugerman said:
$999.00 MSRP....really. I thought the American series was Ruger's budget line...

I just checked the website and now it says the MSRP is $799.00. That's a pretty big difference. Probably that means they'll sell in the $650 range, which is a pretty great deal for what you get. At almost $300 cheaper, it should outsell the Remington version by a wide margin at that price. If I had a complaint, it would be that they didn't make the 6.5 Creedmoor version's barrel long enough. 20" seems too short for a 6.5. I would have preferred a 24" tube on that one.

egl52

Single-Sixer
If the only thing you're looking for is sub-MOA accuracy, there is no advantage. But what fun would it be if all our gun purchases were made with that kind of logic? I got rid of my old Honda Civic, even though it got me from point A to point B, because I just wanted something better. My "new" (2007) vehicle gets me to the same places, but it does so with a little more style.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Where is the balance point on this "Hunter"rifle. Looks to be a tiring carry on a hunt.

Bill

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
It's a Tactical Hunter. :D :D :D
That there is funny. That rifle is just what we need - a rifle that makes hunters think they can ethically kill big game at 1,000 yards with a .308 or 6.5CM (sarcasm).

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
egl52 said:
mac66 said:
NH Rugerman said:

I just checked the website and now it says the MSRP is $799.00. That's a pretty big difference. Probably that means they'll sell in the $650 range, which is a pretty great deal for what you get. At almost $300 cheaper, it should outsell the Remington version by a wide margin at that price. If I had a complaint, it would be that they didn't make the 6.5 Creedmoor version's barrel long enough. 20" seems too short for a 6.5. I would have preferred a 24" tube on that one.

You are right, they changed the price, now it makes more sense. No doubt the 20" is nice with a can but I would rather have a 22-24" also.
You can't please everyone but I would pay a little more for a fluted barrel with this bigger contour in 24".

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
Just doesn't look like it belongs out in the woods. Think I'll stick with my M77's. Maybe I'm just too stuck in the past, when hunting rifles were a thing of beauty. (But then, I also hunt with recurve bows.)

NH Rugerman said:

The MSRP is now $799.00, was it an initial mistake or did Ruger realize that their MSRP's no longer represent traditional Ruger value...and an MSRP of $300.00 for a plastic stock is really ridiculous in my opinion...the gun doesn't look like a hunting rifle...I guess I am getting old :lol:

grobin

Blackhawk
Well with a sub $700 street price it may not be a bad deal. As for the ugly stock I've used similar and they work very well. In a hunting rifle does the look count more than the function and durability?

grobin said:
Well with a sub $700 street price it may not be a bad deal. As for the ugly stock I've used similar and they work very well. In a hunting rifle does the look count more than the function and durability?

AND carry-ability is important. Doesn't look to be comfortable to carry IMO.