350 legend shoe drops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
Ruger has announced two American and a AR556 in 350. The Americans are listed at $540 and the AR at $1099. No real availability date as of yet. But they are on Ruger's web site! I'll wait for some reviews.

Frankly I see the 350 as a very limited cartridge primarily for areas requiring straight cartridges. Lots of competition in other areas from 30-30 to 300BLK, ..., which have superior ballistics. ¡¿Will it be a big success or an also ran!?

mac66

Single-Sixer
grobin said:
Ruger has announced two American and a AR556 in 350. The Americans are listed at $540 and the AR at $1099. No real availability date as of yet. But they are on Ruger's web site! I'll wait for some reviews.

Frankly I see the 350 as a very limited cartridge primarily for areas requiring straight cartridges. Lots of competition in other areas from 30-30 to 300BLK, ..., which have superior ballistics. ¡¿Will it be a big success or an also ran!?

I don't think the 300blk has superior ballistics to the 350, not to mention that neither the 30-30 or 300blk are allowed in straight walled cartridge use states (which you did allude to). In fact 350L ballistics is closer to a 35 Rem which outshines the 30-30 as well.

I applaud Ruger for coming out with the Ruger American Ranch Rifle (with AR type mag) in 350L. I love inexpensive big bore rifles. They will sell well.

grobin

Blackhawk
Well depends on what measure you use for ballistics. There are a bunch of cartridges designed with limits or that time make suitable for exurban areas. If you look at ballistics the 300BLK has much better performing subsonic ammo-maybe this will change.

Several Colorado cities have serious problems with excessive deer or elk populations. When hunting is allowed it looks like it will be bow; but some rifles have been mooted as well. The 350 is too much for what is being considered for cities.

mac66

Single-Sixer
I suppose you could download the 350L to a subsonic. in which case a heavy 35 cal bullet would likely outshine a 30 cal.

On the other hand a downloaded, subsonic kind of defeats the purpose of a hunting cartridge IMO. Giving up velocity to lesson the sound signature.

rangerbob

Buckeye
One main advantage the 350 has is WW's low cost white box ammo which is already in the system. It's cheap enough for practice and to make brass if one reloads with most of the readily available 357 magnum bullets including the 170 and 180 grain HP's designed for the 357 Maximum. As I have opined from the start, the 350 Legend in a good bolt rifle like the American is damn close to a 35 Remington without the recoil and high ammo costs and meets the straight wall case requirements of some states. As soon as I get my first of the month bills paid, I'm going to order a set of Lee dies and a CMMG barrel for my AR build and I see a Ranch rifle in my future, as well, to go with my 7.62x39 Ranch rifle. Bob!! :D

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I wish that the 350 L used .358 bullets .. , to me thats a deal breaker ..

grobin

Blackhawk
The deal breaker for me is The lack of usable 35rifle bullets. Lyman only lists 4 and there aren't many listed by Hornady, Speer,... Handgun bullets maybe OK for plinking but not for real work. Besides unless the 35 really takes off on the AR platform it will be a small niche.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Buckeye, what diameter bullets do you think the 350 uses? I'm sure it uses the common 357 handgun bullets and the few 35 caliber rifle bullets like the Speer 180 and 220 grain flat points. I'm hoping Hornady will reintroduce the 180 rifle bullet they used to make or even a SST version. But until some reliable reloading data becomes available, it does not matter much. I don't know why I did not do this sooner. I miked one of my factory rounds and it measured .375 case diameter just below the mouth of the case on a loaded round. Take a way the 15/1000 " + or minus for the brass thickness comes out to .357/358 diameter. Hopefully, WW will offer component brass and bullets in the future.Bob!! :(

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
rangerbob said:
Buckeye, what diameter bullets do you think the 350 uses? I'm sure it uses the common 357 handgun bullets and the few 35 caliber rifle bullets like the Speer 180 and 220 grain flat points. I'm hoping Hornady will reintroduce the 180 rifle bullet they used to make or even a SST version. But until some reliable reloading data becomes available, it does not matter much. I don't know why I did not do this sooner. I miked one of my factory rounds and it measured .375 case diameter just below the mouth of the case on a loaded round. Take a way the 15/1000 " + or minus for the brass thickness comes out to .357/358 diameter. Hopefully, WW will offer component brass and bullets in the future.Bob!! :(

I was under tbe impression it used .356 dia bullets ... But I have seen were it does use .357 dia bullets ... Which is good news ... Puts the 350 L on my want list .. Especially in a Ruger American Ranch carbine ...

rangerbob

Buckeye
My sources at Sports South tell me that the American ranch rifles are due in very soon. I may put my AR project on hold and start with one of those since I have a RR in 7.62x39. Bob! :D

rangerbob

Buckeye
I'd be happy with iron sights too. I watched a video yesterday from the NRA Convention with Ryan Grisham from Gun Talk. The subject was the 350 American and the AR from Ruger. Surprisingly, the Ruger spokesman actually gave credit to CMMG for developing a AR magazine for the 350 cartridge. I would not be surprised to see CMMG mags in the Rugers. An American Ranch with a 10 round mag should take care of business. I just ordered my 350 Dies from Lee along with a FCD die and a set of 6.5PRC dies while they were available. I spoke with a tech at Hornady, as well. No loading data as of yet and the factory ammo is being developed. No word on component bullets, either. Sierra makes a 180 fmj that will do for practice and plinking. Bob! :wink:

kmckinnon

Bearcat
I wonder if Ruger will make complete 350L uppers available for those of us that already have the MPR in 556?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Buckeye! said:
I wish that the 350 L used .358 bullets .. , to me thats a deal breaker ..

Winchester specifies .357 bullets, but it is suspected advertising hype to "proprietize" the projectiles, which Winchester has done many times.
.358 hunting bullets are everywhere, and work just fine in all experience reports.

If anyone actually pulls a factory bullet, I'd like to read the actual bullet diameter found.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
rangerbob said:
My sources at Sports South tell me that the American ranch rifles are due in very soon. I may put my AR project on hold and start with one of those since I have a RR in 7.62x39. Bob! :D

I think I'd buy one of those. Boyds makes a wood stock for them, yes?

I checked the case specs, looks like I could use 350 Legend brass to feed my 351 WSL on the cheap.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Well, still no ranch rifles in 350 yet. SS did call me on a compact but being 6'4" in need a full size one. I did complete my AR project as a 5.56 with a Del-Ton barrel, so it's up and going. I can always add an upper. Bob!! :D

jjas

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:
Well, still no ranch rifles in 350 yet. SS did call me on a compact but being 6'4" in need a full size one. I did complete my AR project as a 5.56 with a Del-Ton barrel, so it's up and going. I can always add an upper. Bob!! :D

Budsgunshop is showing them in stock on both their site and gunbroker.