350 legend shoe drops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
LuckenbachTexas said:
Hmm, Me thinky the AR platform had something to do with it, Otherwise the 35 Rem is good nuff.

I think its a crying shame good folk are subjected to restrictions based on BS. Higher velocity only results in longer range in the open unobstructed. Why not a powdered metal projectile doing 3,000fps?

You are right about the AR platform. It really needs a good dear cartridge!

As for high velocity unfortunate experience has shown that velocity equates to range. Obviously you have no experience with frangable ammo. When it hits a building its pretty destructive, but unless we are talking jungle density it goes through brush either not at all or just fine (usually just fine). Besides the ignorant politicos will never believe that it will only kill deer not livestock or people!

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I helped develop and test RBCD and was there on it's first human raghead kill. I pretty much know everything about frangible ammo. I'm also subjected to BS hunting weapon restrictions around the country and world too.

grobin

Blackhawk
My experience is with RBCD Performance Plus, Inc. ammo which does not meet the DoD defination. It is really hyper velocity ammo and isn't that great IME. I've also used and evaluated Glaser Safety Slug (true frangable) and some proto types of military frangable. While these will not penetrate code sheetrock (by and large) they do considerable structural damage and produce clean kills; but they are defeated by very heavy clothing or light armor.

I sympathize on stupid regs, but look who writes the laws and who elects them. Colorado has plenty of them. e.g. under the regs it appears that a rifled barrel shot gun is not legal for hunting anything, a detachable magazine shotgun may only be legal for pest control. I haven't looked up any case law on this as I don't have free access anymore.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Hey, I'm not against a new caliber, just the lie they told.

As for hunting, its like you have to carry around a wheel barrel full of different weapons, lawbooks, and regulation manuals anymore.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
When limited to "straight-walled" cartridges by law, twice the energy of a 240-gr 44 magnum with a computer-designed bullet is significant in my travels.

This is a country of wants, not needs. We are blessed.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I've hunted deer and pig with a .44 magnum for years (Ruger Deerfield and .44 Carbine) and never felt compromised in terms of energy. I think I'd be even happier with the 350. I'm waiting for Ruger to offer a non-AR semi-auto carbine in the 350. That would be my ideal hunting rifle.

grobin

Blackhawk
If the 350 is a big success-particularly in the AR plarform-I could definitely see an adaption of the mini series to it. The PC9 isn't suitable and it would make sense for Ruger to get a new platform which allows for longer COL and higher accuracy. That greater flexibility to handle a wide variety of cartridges without the AR's: COL, rimmed, accuracy, ... problems would definitely be a winner. Looking at alternate actions to the piston operation is definitely desirable,maybe the inertial system?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Being suddenly intrigued by this thread and especially the cartridge of topic, I have brought up the facts of the manufacturers at our breakfast club. Haven't found anyone who has actual experience with the round. But that will change I know.

That said, consider that Ruger did not stick with the great Deerfield for long, although they continue to be in high demand for being the excellent hunting rifle the are. Same fate for the similarly-fine 96/44 levergun, which would seem to be a perfect real-world platform for testing the hunting viability of this round (and others). Pity that Ruger has been tied to the short-term profit estimating of marketing transients within the ranks. But I fear they will not be changing that business model anytime soon. We may be 'stuck' with AR-type and plastic guns for new calibers.

In states where agencies still determine what guns and calibers are "suitable" for killing game, there is a need for innovation and new designs. Opinions of those not-so encumbered is of little consequence to them. Sitting in an icy treestand waiting for the first buck in three days take a few steps closer, the 350L may be the best advantage they have had since their laws were once again changed.

mac66

Single-Sixer
mac66 said:
Online article on the 350L at Realguns. There are some ballistics of loads though he only chronographed some 145gr loads.

https://www.realguns.com/articles/1106.htm

Part II will have some other loads.

Part II is up online...lots of load data, impressive accuracy

https://www.realguns.com/articles/1111.htm

I am not a fan of Ruger mini series. Too heavy as a carbine, not accurate, I don't like having to "rock" in my magazines. A lightweight semi auto rifle with an 18" barrel is what I would prefer.
gramps

langenc

Single-Sixer
buckeyeshooter said:
also ran. If you are a speculator, buy one.... it will not be made long.

Just an investment.

For a great deer/hog gun get a 450 Bushmaster. Id hunt moose w/ that caliber when
the range was 125 (more or less) or less.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I would not write off the 350 Legend just yet. Savage lists 14 different models in that caliber, including the Hog Hunter with sights. I have 100 WW brass and 180 gr Speer bullets coming for my Ranch rifle that I finally acquired and 400 rounds of FMJ ammo on hand. Ammo is readily available and affordable. I still need to mount a 2x7 Bushnell on my rifle and the weather to cool down before shooting commences. Bob! 8)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have a dozen+ good gun shops within 30 minutes of my home, and have not seen ANY guns chambered for this round to date.

Don't recall seeing any ammo either.

Good magazine articles, though.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Mohavesam, I don't know what one would hunt in Arizona with the 350, except maybe javelinas. Dealers don't have to stock everything, since next day delivery is available almost everywhere. Ammo is readily available, as are the Ruger rifles, as well as WW and Starline brass. WW is coming out with 2 of their component bullets soon. I loaded 100 rounds of 180 Speer bullets in WW brass last weekend. Bob! 8)

rangerbob

Buckeye
I was not aware of that much game in Arizona, my bad! I have to confess that I have a FFL and order guns and ammo often. Bob! :D

rangerbob

Buckeye
My recently arrived American Rifleman has an in depth article on the 350 Legend using 3 different test rifles, including the Ranch rifle. It's the most info I've seen in print so far. Bob!! 8)

jjas

Single-Sixer
I purchased a Savage Axis ll chambered in .350 legend a few days ago. I've only had it at the range once and sighted it in @ 25 yards with Winchester 180 grain ammo.

Recoil isn't bad, and I'll work on 100 yards next time I make it out there.

If all goes well, it will be my deer rifle for this season.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Well I'm a fan of big heavy cartridges for deer (35 rem, 375 Win, 450 BM, 44 mag) even though I live in the rifle zone of my state where anything is allowed. Where I hunt maximum range for a deer shot is about 150 yards across my food plot though I've never shot one over 110-120 yards. I am intrigued by the 350L enough so that I'll probably have one. Ideally someone with come out with an AR barrel I can build into an upper as a cheap way in. I am patient and can wait until that happens.