No 1 in 357 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bearden

Bearcat
Purchased a #1 in 357 mag, at the gun show (always wanted a#1), and checking the sn 132-444xx it was made in 1984.(should be a fun shooter)
On the left side its engraved California Assn of Highway Patrolmen and under it engraved Limited Edition.
It has a 22in barrel with iron sights, rings, and a barrel band for a sling. In my opinion its 90-95%, but
when I tried to find any info about it-no luck. Any info from the Ruger faithful would be appreciated.
Bearden

bearden

Bearcat
thanks buckeye for the info, I was wondering was this a special run from Talo for them, or directly from Ruger for the Assn. it was strange it was not listed in gun book , but the caliber was listed on Ruger web site. and would this be a 1a or 1b ?
bearden

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
It's a 1A. I believe it was a special run by one of the west coast distributors for the CHP. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500+ were made with the CHP logo.
The much rarer (and more desirable) unmarked overrun numbered in the 300 range.

Single-Sixer
I have two CHP's and one over-run. Approx. 1800 CHP's made and 180(?) over-runs, making the unmarked version more sought after by virtue of it's rarity. Still, only made once, and even though for a No. 1 this is a lot of rifles, the desirability factor will always keep them climbing in value. All of mine show 1984 as a birthdate, and are wonderful little rifles, Congrats! Regards, 021

Single-Sixer
bearden said:
Thanks all for the info, it should be a fun rifle for plinking.
bearden

The 22" barrel should step up the 357's game somewhat, and you can shoot probably any 357 load that can be stuffed in the chamber of the #1. Don't discount it as a hunting rifle, within reason. 021

Littlebluetruck

Bearcat
Yeah, or check out the throat depth and you might be able to load them long for hunting. If you can get them out to 357 max revolver OAL there is plenty of load data. I saw this on Mike Bellm's web site.