Stainless Mini Thirty accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cowboy77845

Bearcat
I am looking at a stainless mini thirty for purchase. I read accuracy is all over the place on these rifles. I know there are issues with the blued steel model. What about stainless. Have accuracy issues been resolved?

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I bought a stainless Mini 30 about three years ago, and have found it favors certain ammo over others for accuracy. With surplus, steel case Tula ammo, if has "Ho-Hum" accuracy, probably 6-8" or so at 100 yards with iron sights. With factory brass case ammo such as Winchester White Box, Federal FMJ or Fiocchi, 3-4" at 100 yards, The most accurate is PPU Soft Point Round Nose, 2" at 100 yards. When I found the rifle favored PPU Soft Point I bought up all I could find, probably got 800 rounds or so of it salted back.

Here's a pic of hits on a steel rabbit, PPU Soft Point Round Nose, fired from the prone position at 100 yards:

414142966.jpg

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
I have one of the newer series with the heavier contour barrel (stainless).

Mine is a 1.25 MOA gun using a 2-7X scope and I'm not the world's best bench rest guy. This is with Fiocchi 123gr FMJs. Don

greyrush

Bearcat
I bought a new Mini 30 stainless/synthetic-stock a couple months ago. Put on an Ultimak rail and Vortex red dot. It's just for plinking fun at the moment so I'm not looking for 1-hole accuracy, and I consider myself a novice with rifles and optics anyway.

Here are a couple pics from a recent indoor range trip. I was still adjusting the red dot a bit during this time, forearm resting on a bag, maybe 2 seconds between shots with ... probably either 5 or 10rd magazines. I tried both PPU sprn and Fiocchi.

nr8vUID.jpg

LVvnJ1J.jpg

7tLo8Xj.jpg

UCCETlz.jpg