Ruger American 7.62X39 owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I just ordered a Ruger American in 7.62X39 ... Mostly planning to have for target shooting (plinking) and maybe working up a few 150gr handloads ... Maybe hawg and whitetail hunting ...
Im thinking about a fixed 2.5 scope ... If you don't care to share your experiences with scope selection and ammo that your RA 7.62X39 likes & dislikes .. Thanks in advance !!!

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Gator89 said:
I don't have a Ruger, but my CZ 527 loves Hornady Black steel cased 123 grain SST's for hunting ammo. Killed my biggest white-tailed buck to date with it last fall.

PPU ammo grouped well also.

Are you referring to the 123gr RN soft point PPU ?

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Id love to see some Gel tests on the PU 123gr RN SP , I had never have tried it in the past in my SKS's

Heliman and I spent quite a bit of time shooting this rifle, as we both owned one. Following is a compilation of our results, gleaned from numerous previous threads...

I experimented with numerous manufacturers of ammo. The Rooshkie stuff was mediocre in mine, where the same stuff in Heliman's rifle shot much better. Mine really did shine when I switched to domestic ammo. The biggest surprise was Hornady's SST loaded in steel cases. Who'da thunk?

1" groups with quality domestic ammo.

Best groups were with Hornady SST ammo.

2" groups with steel cased commie ammo.

Bought online, finally picked it up from my FFL yesterday. Haint shot it yet, but just in handling, it is way cool. The jury is still out on scope selection. With the 16" barrel, even a 4x32 scope looks really long. My plan is to put my Hog Plex scope on it, but for now that scope is committed to another rifle.

I couldn't wait. Installed the 1x4 hog Plex, and it is a better choice. :mrgreen:

Okay. Finally settled on the Leupold Vx2 3x9x33 AO Ultralight. It's a relatively small scope, so I think it'll be a good choice. Hope to get it to the range soon.

Although this is a poor flip-phone photo, it shows how much smaller this (mounted) Ultralight Leupold is, compared to many other adjustable power scopes. It's even smaller than a fixed 4x. :mrgreen:

9x19

Hunter
Mine also shoots the Hornady SST load better than any of the imported loadings I've tried.

I just changed to a Vortex variable on mine - 3x-9x 40mm

SXwDvVB.jpg

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I hopefully will be able to find the steel cased Hornady SST 7.62x39 locally .. maybe at Academy

rangerbob

Buckeye
After reading Buckeye's post yesterday, I tried to find some Hornady steel cased ammo at Sports South. It's no longer listed nor did Hornady show it on their website. There is the new Black loaded in brass Hornady cases with the 123 SST. So if you like the steel case stuff, buy it if you can find any. Bob!! :(

I was surprised the steel cased SST ammo is discontinued. Here's a little bit, still available...

https://www.sgammo.com/product/hornady-ammo-sale/500-round-case-762x39-sst-hornady-steel-case-ammo-8078

This is why I finally separated myself from 7.62x39. Everything else being equal, quality .308 ammo is cheaper than quality 7.62x39 ammo. And the .308 ammo is far more available. Yes, I know there might be exceptions, as the steel cased Hornady above, but they are few.

7.62x39

Nerostarr

Bearcat
I played around with smaller profile scopes on mine also, but after shooting it a bit the rifle really deserves a good scope. I settled on a Nikon 3-9x40 and it looks and performs very well on the rifle. I tried the PPU 123gr brass cased ammo and it did well, but mine shoots the wolf military classic ammo just as well so I have a decent supply of both. I bought one of the black compact stocks off of shopruger.com and now the rifle fits me better and looks a bit different than every other American ranch rifle out there.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
My FFL called this morning.. My Ruger ranch carbine 7.62x39 has rolled in . But it will be Monday till I can pick it up ...Hopefully I will get it to the range next weekend..
Im going to use one of my older Burris 2.5X20 scopes .. Always been a favorite for my Marlin 336 30-30 and such

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I have had a bit of limited time at the range with my RAR X39 .. I installed a Bushnel
1.5 seemed to shoot real well .. Quite a bit of tooling marks on the bolt... It is what it is .. Fit and finish on my Savage Axis II is better vs tbe RAR .. Trigger on Axis is smoother also ... But Im happy with the RAR ..