Deleted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
A Mini-350, if you will, might be as good as it gets with this cartridge, especially with 20 round dedicated magazines and all of the optic options. being old school, I'd want wood and blue finish. I'm still gathering my parts for my AR build. Bob!! 8)

grobin

Blackhawk
The main action seems to be in the ARs right now. I expect that bolt actions and single shots will turn up for the areas where the 350 is a legal hunting alternative to shot gun. But I expect that the AR crowd will be the big deal. Does this leave a slot for the mini? We will see.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
Put it in a left hand Ruger American Ranch and I am all in.

And, oh, I'd buy a Mini in 350 too (for twice the price of the American Ranch, ouch...) but it would make a great short range deer, hog & black bear rifle.

Funny thing: I remember many years ago shortly after the Mini 30 arrived, there was some talk, and some articles about one or another .35 caliber wildcats on the 7.62 x 39 mm case, which seem to have met with a collective yawn from the shooting world.

And, today, well... here we are pretty much coming full circle.

Bring it!

grobin

Blackhawk
Looks like Michigan and illinois are limited to lever actions and single shot as are the "Primitives" in Kentucky.

If this limits the AR boys interest then this 350 is basically dead.

JimA

Bearcat
grobin said:
Looks like Michigan and illinois are limited to lever actions and single shot as are the "Primitives" in Kentucky.

If this limits the AR boys interest then this 350 is basically dead.

Michigan allows semi auto hunting rifles.

mac66

Single-Sixer
A mini in 350 would be nice ...and expensive, but would work in the limited rifle (straight walled cartridge) zone in Michigan, unlike the mini 30.

A ruger american ranch rifle would do the job for a lot less money.

An ar barrel in 350 would be a reasonable alternative for those of us with a pile of ar parts laying around

grobin

Blackhawk
The 350 is a want to be in a crowd! It is competing with the: 45-70, 444, 450, 7mm-08, 257 roberts, 300 BLK,...! It doesn't bring anything new to the table. I can buy rifle/hand gun combos in a lot of these calibers which has an advantage. Simply NO POINT except for AR and straight wall!

Hog gun or deer rifle? Lots and lots better choices even if you only look at the AR platform!

grobin

Blackhawk
I mentioned the advantage and the competitive position for the AR! I feel that the 300BLK is a much better cartridge for the AR; but it isn't legal for straight wall areas. As for more recoil also more range, better accuracy! I hope that the 350 succeeds but am not holding my breath. I would bet Ruger comes out with an American or Scout in 350 before a mini. I'd likely buy a mini in 350 though, but not a bolt action or AR platform.

In any case I'll wait a couple years to see if the 350 flies or dies.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I like the concept of a mini 350 - but then i like most 358 caliber guns, ever since I shot my first 348 Win at bear camp! (yes, the 348W is much closer to 35 caliber than the 358 bullet guns...) 8)

But the Mini 6.8 was about perfect IMHO, except for the whining about ample ammo. oh well. :roll: :roll:

Lets watch Ruger for the release... I'm not betting my lunch money yet!

Ethang

Blackhawk
Living in one of the states and the zone with these stupid rules, I am kinda interested in this concept. Not really sure if I want to expend the capital for a new cartridge but this one or the original wildcat load fit the bill.

rangerbob

Buckeye
One thing for sure, CMMG is jumping into the 350 water with both feet, I suspect that worked with Winchester developing the cartridge and their proprietary AR magazines for the 350. I can't see Ruger taking a back seat to that. Bob!

smith1961

Blackhawk
grobin said:
The 350 is a want to be in a crowd! It is competing with the: 45-70, 444, 450, 7mm-08, 257 roberts, 300 BLK,...! It doesn't bring anything new to the table. I can buy rifle/hand gun combos in a lot of these calibers which has an advantage. Simply NO POINT except for AR and straight wall!

Hog gun or deer rifle? Lots and lots better choices even if you only look at the AR platform!

Agree 100% AR platform has this covered with .450 Bushmaster, .300 Hammer, 6.5 Grendel, etc.
Bolt crowd or lever guns walk all over it too................

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Fact is, the 350WL doesn't "compete" with any round that is not straight-walled (even the 44RM is slightly tapered, but don't tell MI F&G).

Can we sort the posts speaking from experience with the 350WL from conjecture?

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Where did you read that the .44 magnum is tapered? I think it is truly straight.

grobin

Blackhawk
According to SAAMI 44mag base of case is .4569 mouth is .4560 so slight taper. I haven't read the weird straight wall regulations so it may or may not matter!

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
9/10,000 inch...wonder if that is by design, or just a manufacturing result of trying to make a straight wall?