77-22 ring height

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have an older 77-22 Hornet with iron sights that I need to scope. Should I buy factory "low" or "medium" rings to put a Leupold VX-1 2 to 7 by 28 scope on it? I think low rings would work but have read accounts of people having the bolt handle hit the rear of some scopes with low rings. I'd like to get the scope as low over the action as is practical.

Anybody have any experience with this situation? Thanks.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
The scope may fit nicely with low rings but with the 77/xx rifles , the issue with low rings is the bolt handle clearing the scopes eyepiece. I have medium rings on all mine with various scopes of which at least one scope would be similar in size to the one you're wanting to put on.

Nope, low rings will not work.

I've copied a previous post with some extra links.

WAYNO said:
artey said:
Picked up and early 1984 22LR thats like new today at a local gunshow. Does anyone have a Leupold 4x Rimfire Special or a newer FX-1 4x mounted on low rings? I'd like to know if the bolt handle clears the scope. Thanks alot!

Jordan

Many of us have discussed the difficulty in mounting a scope on the 77/357, 77/44, and 77/22 rifles. Even with a 4x scope, the bolt handle often hits or drags on the eyepiece. And then using higher rings defeats the purpose of a skinny scope. My last attempt involved mounting the Leupold Pig Plex scope in the low rings. It worked, but the bolt handle still dragged on the eyepiece. Everything has been a compromise when scoping these little rifles.

At one time, I mounted a large scope on one of these rifles, with high rings to clear the objective. It worked, but the scope was just way out of place on such an otherwise small and handy gun.

The following linked thread has numerous scope discussions with the 77/44 and 77/357, but the scope issues will apply to the 77/22. Read thru it and you'll find the scope discussions...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=232173&p=2334682&hilit=scope+rings#p2334682

and another...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=235028&p=2362619#p2362619