More on the 350 Legend

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I just ordered my first 100 rounds of 350 Legend today, the white box 145gr. load. Other than a barrel, gas block, gas tube, and BCG, most of my components for an AR build are on hand. Lee dies are slated to be available this month, as well. Looking forward to the build. Bob! :lol:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Everything old is new again - sort of.

I use 223 cases blown out to 351 Winchester as a cheap way of shooting my Winchester 1907 shooting and not worrying about chasing brass. A 180 grain bullet does about 1,800 fps. Magazines are a bit more limited (and pricey) than the AR type. I'd be interested to know how the build goes. I've done a few from 5.56 to 458 SOCOM and am a fan of 35 caliber cartridges. Results of reloading and shooting would be great to read.

Would be a great Contender handgun cartridge too.

rangerbob

Buckeye
The thought of a Contender round crossed my mind as well. I have a 10" 357 Maximum barrel that I suspect could be simply rechambered and go from there. T/C would probably want to put it in an Encore pistol/rifle. I have not had a chance to compare the cartridge specs between the 357 Max and the Legend. And as you stated, the Legend is basically a 351 Improved. Bob!

rangerbob

Buckeye
I now have all of the parts in to build my 350 AR, except the barrel. I checked with CMMG and their first batch of barrels are already spoken for. They are shipping complete rifles and uppers first and then barrels. They quoted me a June delivery if I order soon and may do so tomorrow. BTW, their barrels use carbine length gas tubes. Bob!! :)

rangerbob

Buckeye
I agree completely. A semi auto 350 carbine serves the same purpose today as the Remington Model 8 in 35 Remington served 100 years ago. That being a short to medium range deep woods carbine/rifle to put meat on the table, be it pork or venison. The 350 Legend delivers as much 35 caliber as one can get out of an AR-15/Mini 14 style rifle and it's straight wall. I have redefined the term straight wall to mean non-bottlenecked, as the 45-70 is certainly not straight wall with all of it's taper, nor is the 38-55.About the only straight wall cases are the ones originally designed for revolvers such as the 357,41, and 44 magnums because of ease of manufacture for the cylinders. The 45 acp, 40, 10mm, and 9mm all have a slight amount of body taper so that they feed well from a magazine. Bob! :)

JimA

Bearcat
rangerbob said:
The thought of a Contender round crossed my mind as well. I have a 10" 357 Maximum barrel that I suspect could be simply rechambered and go from there. T/C would probably want to put it in an Encore pistol/rifle. I have not had a chance to compare the cartridge specs between the 357 Max and the Legend. And as you stated, the Legend is basically a 351 Improved. Bob!

Very improved! Higher pressure, longer case, more factory bullet options. Reloaders will have a ball with this new round. Look at the .357 Max loads compared to factory original loadings.

grobin

Blackhawk
Well the No 1 would be a no brainer for tooling, but pretty pricey for the likely market. I think that either a upper or a carbine like the scout would be more likely. A mini would be interesting, but unlikely.

mac66

Single-Sixer
SteelBlue said:
Just hope the first Ruger in 350 is not a No. 1.

It's not, is an American Ranch Rifle and an AR

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26985.html

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Nice work Ruger! I bet the AR is a lot of fun to shoot in the 350. I think this is where the 350 belongs.

Nerostarr

Bearcat
Can anyone speculate what kind of recoil this 350L will generate out of a bolt action rifle? I'm guessing it will be equal to maybe a 7.62x39. I have the American ranch in both 223 and 7.62 and this new 350L intrigues me, just not sure if I would get much use out of it as I'm not much of a hunter. I guess I'm looking for a reason to buy one, can anyone persuade me one way or the other?
I do reload so that's 1 plus I guess.

57springer

Buckeye
Nerostarr said:
Can anyone speculate what kind of recoil this 350L will generate out of a bolt action rifle? I'm guessing it will be equal to maybe a 7.62x39. I have the American ranch in both 223 and 7.62 and this new 350L intrigues me, just not sure if I would get much use out of it as I'm not much of a hunter. I guess I'm looking for a reason to buy one, can anyone persuade me one way or the other?
I agree a very interesting caliber :wink:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I'm waiting for Hornady, Handloader, or Hodgdon or someone to publish some loading data. I'm thinking the same powders as the 357 Maximum, probably AA1680 or CFE Black. Bob!! :D

Nerostarr

Bearcat
Well I ordered the compact 350L #26985 and 100 rounds of 145gr ammo. That will give me fresh brass and Lee precision already has reloading dies out for this caliber, so they will be next. I'll be needing some load data, hopefully I can find that along the way and all goes well.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Nerostarr said:
Can anyone speculate what kind of recoil this 350L will generate out of a bolt action rifle? ...

speculation is all we have till it appears on retail shelves.

Meantime, the 357 Remington Maximum in a Contender (handgun or rifle) is manageable by weekenders, and with the right bullets, including Hornady's FTX, makes a fine deer killer at ethical ranges (wherein a 6" target is hit on the first shot).

grobin

Blackhawk
Nerostarr said:

I would expect it to be similar to the 223 but close to the 7.62x39.

The 350 is going to be relatively inconvenient and expensive for the near future. If I just wanted a low power plonker I'd go with the 300BLK, it's available in the American and the mini 14. Lots of bullets and cheap. (The 350 only has a few bullets available compared to The 30 even if you count handgun bullets.)

My take is that when the new, trendy smoke clears in a year or so that the 350 will be like the .41mag niche caliber, really liked by some hunters But otherwise ignored. But I could be wrong-I didn't buy as much Amazon at 5¢ a share as I could.

Rockrat

Single-Sixer
In my Ruger #1 , I run the 357max at and a bit above 223 pressure . You would be surprised just what it can do. 180's @ 2300fps +. Even a 260 @1900fps and 158's @2500fps